Hi Everyone; Was wondering if anyone could shed some light on an issue that just popped up on a leased 2003 Case 580 Super M with about 2600 hours on it. I was going to float it around 50 miles, but the guy backed out at the last minute, so I roaded it. Took about 3 hours, stopped an hour in for lunch, then finished the trip. At the start, my service brakes were fine, pedal firm, felt good. The parking brake is out of service, but I asked for it like that rather than wait to have it fixed, good weather this week to take advantage of and I will be on a secluded piece of woodland. When I stopped the first time after an hour driving, brakes were fine, felt normal. After the final two hours (not touching the brakes once), I went to pull into my property, and the pedal went to the floor, no brakes. When I pump them, I get a little bit. No obvious leaks. Engine and tranny oil are in the middle of the temp range. After it sat for a bit, it seemed like the pedal had a little more resistance, and I had a little bit of brakes, but not back to normal. Does this machine have a vehicle type booster for the brakes? Is there a brake fluid reservoir I could check, and if yes, where is it? Any tips would be appreciated. I know the folks that own it will look after me on monday, I am just hoping to check the obvious stuff first. Thanks
No reservoir to check Troy, they are automatically filled from the hydraulic system. What you are describing is not uncommon, I have had this same scenario explained to me numerous times before. There is no power assist either. It just seems that they somehow get some air into them OR the master cyls get a bit gummed up & the problem seems to come & go..... It does concern me that the park brake is not working, have they tried to adjust the cable? It could be indicating worn brake discs........How long since the rear axle oil was changed?
I guess that means that I need to confirm the hyd fluid level on the tank... Maybe they will bleed themselves. The machine just came from the dealership, it was a rental unit that was traded in recently. They had it in the shop for a check- up, but the brake would have taken until next week to change (shop is backed up a bit), so I asked to take it as it was for the rental. Have to say the dealership here has been absoultely golden to deal with, and have bent over backwards to help my out. Anyway, I assume the other fluids were just changed, I know the engine oil was fresh, fuel filters changed, and the rear hubs had new plugs. THanks for the insight, I am on a safe, flat, isolated bit of woodland, so I can work it as is, but it seems like there is a chance it may work itself out.
I have had this exact same problem with my backhoe twice over the last year. I haven't been able to solve it just yet. Road for a extended period like 45+ mins then all of the sudden you have to pump the pedal to get anything out of them. Then you let the machine sit for a couple hours and the brakes feel like new again. The JCB system must be different because I most definitely have a reservoir. I haven't been able to find any bleed screws in the system I assumed they must be inside the diff housing. So I basically zero help in helping fix your problem. But I'd so go ahead and run the hoe on site and put it behind a truck on the way back!
As a follow up- Machine sat for a day, then I have used it daily for several hours at a go, and the brakes seem to be working perfectly.