Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 410 slips in hi range only

jim deere ยท 2009-07-08 07:47

hello all. i am new to this site. I remember years ago looking for a good backhoe site before there were any. I have a jd 410 1981 for a dozen years. i used it to clear my mountain property and build a home on the weekends. 4 years completed. I got it fo$10k but it had a bad problem after heating up. The injector return line was clogged and presented issues. with that fixxed it ran well ever since. Now I use to fix up the rest of the ten acres, loading, maintenance of common entrance road to the developtment. The machine was always easy to start and I did the maintenance myself. when the neibor broke the axle 10 years ago i found a guy that comes with a fully packed service truck for on site service $40.00 an hour now is $70.. My usual problems were tires, leaking cylinder, instument lights, wheel spindle an steering knukle, waterpump. I change hyd. fluids and oil and all filters annually. I have about 7K hrs. now. You just look at the key at any temp and she starts up. Last year I blew the clutch and differential going into a pile of 3 inch stone. the clutch was just hanging on the last 2 years but the differential was a surprise. With that replaced last year all was well. I did not even use high range untill this year; but now I have noticed a problem in high range. Silps under load. Low range is great all day long. In the tech manual, it does not give much for slipping only in high, except maybee bent shift forks. All the geartrain components used are the same between high and low range except for the use of a countershaft for low. New filters and good clean fluid. The range gear shifter goes right into the tranny no lincages to adjust. I have a shuttle shift and a manual clutch. When you push in the cluth 1/2 way it dissengages the reverser and all the way it pushes the dry clutch. The old clutch actually had the center springs broke/popped out unrebuildable. Any suggestions or comments are welcome. I am going back home on thursday and would like to try something that may help before splitting again. Thanks

Replies2
  1. #1Phil2009-07-09 06:46

    I had a 310A once, that's all I know about old JD hoes . Sounds like your machine has a disconnect clutch followed by a hydraulic shuttle, then direct drive on back, if I read that right. I remember that a weak clutch in any machine, usually starts slipping in 'high' gear first. My condolences if it's your shuttle slipping. A thorough pressure check on clutch pack pressure should be done before splitting the tractor, in case your disconnect clutch looks good and you go further back. Is there an adjustment for 'throughout bearing' free play? Phil

  2. #2jim deere2009-07-09 10:02

    thanks for your reply. I just put a new clutch in with pressue plate and pilot bearing ground the flywheel and new thow-out bearing. the clutch was adjusted with a feeler gauge correctly. I did not do the job but was present when accomplished. So you think I shound measure pressue. Any guidance, I do have the Tech manual. Witch points should I tap into. I have high pressure gauges. goin up there soon and will be back monday morn for anymore good info thanks.