Here's an old brochure for the Case 310 with a gut wrenching, earth shattering 42hp. Thought it was kinda neat seeing this old ad and thought I would share it with everyone.
That's cool Gil! Check out the outriggers and where the swing cylinders are. Now, tell us what J. I. Case stands for, and don't do no google search. Your a Case guy...you should know this.
Paul: JI stands for Jerome Increase as in J. I. Case. When we were a company owned store we use to kid that the increase in JI Case did not mean we got raises. He actually started out building threshers....couldn't get one to work right and set it on fire. I didn't google this either, when you have been to case Training in Racine there is rarely a time they don't give you a little JI Case history lesson.
Very good Gil! You are for sure a "Case Man". You guys are just as mean as we are in the aerial business. When we were at the JLG training, we rib the boys there that JLG stands for "J"ust "L"ike "G"enie. Back to Case, Jerome Increase Case was truely an innovator. And the company that shares his namesake has always been at the forefront of innovation. Yeah, they've had some duds, but by and large, the Case product line through the years has done as much as any mfg to increase productivity with their equipment as anybody. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Case the first mfg to make a tractor for a loader/hoe that was designed specifically for a loader/hoe and not an ag tractor that was equipped with a loader/hoe?
I'm too young to rememeber when the changeover happened of course, but I've seen the old TV shows.... I think their greatest innovation was to find a way to build equipment in color, while the rest of the world was still in black and white.
I like that picture. The outrigger and swing cylinders are most interesting. These pictures do have an affect on people's impressions and I'm sure a lot of thought goes into the wording. Note the use of the word "rig". Phil
C cant A afford S something E else C cant A attempt S serious E excavation In a past life I worked for the largest Case construction dealer in north america.
My dad had 2 of these, and although it was designed specifically for a loader/hoe the frame was not nearly strong enough, and the tractor was not nearly big enough for the size of the hoe. There just wasn't enough weight on the front of the tractor, and the FEL would barely lift itself, let alone a full bucket of dirt. The frame on one of my dad's had been broken completely in half at one point and welded back together. But, I will say that the backhoe was a surprisingly strong digging unit, and I moved a lot of dirt with a 50 year old machine that only cost a few hundred dollars!
I always figured that on the early Case machines, the hoe did most of the work and the tractor was just along for the ride. Phil
I'm not a historian on this, but isn't this normal development of a product? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the tractor loader evolve from AG applications on AG tractors? And the application didn't necessarily require brute strength, like we use a loader/hoe today. Somewhere along the line, someone put a hoe on the unit. Who was the first to do that? Anyhow, in the early loader/hoes, I think you'll find all brands were a little "undersized" as it were. Experience is the best teacher, they started getting beefier, now we have the modern loader/hoe that doesn't even compare to their early counterparts in strength. But in the early days, even these "weak" units would be preferred over a shovel.
wow that is so cool.
The JI Must stand for Just In as in Just In Case.... Cool brochure none the less!
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't oliver the first to produce backhoes for their tractors??
I was told that the first one was made in Norway just after ww2.... was also told that it only slewed through 90deg and a man named J C Bamford who was sick of making trailers remodelled it and fitted it to a ford tractor.......could be wrong mind you. Stock
Sounds like we have an HEF project: Someone find out who was the first to put a hoe on a tractor...then find a pic of one.
some of the very first loader/backhoes were just ag tractors with attachments. I dont really believe you could call anyone the first. There was a company called Henery that made loaders and hoes to be attached to ag tractors. A lot of tractor dealers installed them and were selling loader/backhoes back before Case, Deere,etc had then on the market. I have seen and repaired Deere model 40 tractors with Henery loaders and hoes. IH 300 utility tractors were popular also. These are all early 50s built machines. I have some Henery info around here but in the middle of a move and no idea what box to look in. Rob
Great poster
I've got the case backhoe book; I'll look up the answers to some of these questions and hopefully have something for you guys tonight.
I'll get a pic of one if I have one and post it tonight. Just got off work, time for sleep.
Cool facts: - 1912 Case was producing a full array of road construction equipment. - After the First World War, Case tractors bore an alphabetical designation and sub-designation. The 1929 model C was designated the CO for use in the orchard, CV for vineyard work and the CI for industrial applications. - Industrial applications always were based on farm equipment, and when Leon Clausen arrived in 1924 as president of the corporation, there began a slow decline in emphasis on the industrial side. Both road building and industrial machinery remained subordinate to agricultural equipment until after WWII, when an Industrial Division (ID) was formed under James P. Cody. - 2 years after the war's end, the ID was able to design the company's first integrated industrial loader (models 30, 40, 50). It had a hydraulic power front-end loader that could be mounted on teh SI, DI, VAI, or LAI tractor and sold as complete unit. - The first backhoes were operated by cables from a power take-off. Hydraulics soon followed, and by the 1950's, backhoe kits were available for wheeled tractors, most of which were designed and built for agricultural use. - Both the independent loader and backhoe kits came to the dealer in burlap bags. If the consumer was lucky the dealer would fit them to his tractor. There no instructions and one dealer recalled that it might take as long as a week to install the backhoe. This was assuming the implement would even fi the tractor. - None of these attachments (loader and backhoe) were meant for construction work and had little breakout force because they were used to lift nothing heavier than manure or bales of hay. - Marc Rojtman with ATC (American Tractor Corporation) had the idea for creating a single tractor with integrated loader and backhoe. Case acquired ATC (Oct 1 1956) and by this time the crawler backhoe/loader was already in production. - In terms of technology, the principal reason for the Case decision to purchase ATC was the Terra Trac transmission that Rojtman had developed beginning in 1950, not the loader/backhoe. - The wheeled tractor loader/backhoe was present at their Road Show, but it was stuck back in a corner. It attracted so much attention, however, that it was moved to the front of the dipslay on the second day of the show. The case loader/backhoe, designated by Case as the model 320, had made its debut. More facts to come later...
Some photos....
One more.
cool stuff coopers. But does this lay to rest the first to mount a backhoe? How does this square with JCB? Fascinating thread. Good stuff coopers.
Thanks coopers!! I can remember seeing Case Kings as a kid and was wondering if one would appear here. They were the most popular backhoe around here for a long time.
Well from what I've read it appears Marc Rojtman got the idea of a backhoe/loader while driving around with Elton Long near Fort Wayne. Rojtman saw a backhoe on "something" and said, "now there's a good product. We've got to build one of those." Later in the text it says Long began his work (referring to Long being assigned the job at designing a backhoe; underneath Paul Hawkins head of experimental engineering group for ATC) and used a backhoe from Pippen and modified it to suit ATC's uses. "Two things were true of the loader/backhoe's invention, as has been true of many other important innovations: It was built upon the discoveries of others and, in the beginning, its inventors had no idea how important their brainchild would become"
nice pic's coopers....the old stuff is cool!!!
Origins The British company JCB developed the early hoes. Their first tractor equipped with both a hoe and a front-mounted loading bucket was completed in 1953 and set the standard pattern for future designs of backhoe loader. Because of the long-time predominance of this marque in the United Kingdom and Ireland, it has become a genericized trademark there, and all backhoe-equipped diggers are commonly called JCBs, while the term "hoe" is almost unknown to the general public in this context. The founder of the JCB company, Joseph Cyril Bamford, holds the honour of being the only non-American in the US construction industry's Hall of fame. The American tractor company Case Corporation made the first American-built backhoe in 1967. The design of the Case backhoes, from the straight arm boom assembly, to the "Extendahoe" design, which can extend the dipper from four to eight feet longer, are all registered with the U.S. Patent Office, along with the chassis design. Originally, the Case backhoes were not meant to be called such, instead, they had the words "Construction King" painted somewhere noticeable, either on the rear fenders, or on the boom arm, but the name backhoe stuck. 1951- Master loader for use on farms launched. Costs £75 1953 - Turning point for JCB, with the development of the first backhoe loader. The JCB logo appears for the first time. 1954 - JCB Hhdra-Digger, larger and more powerful than any preceding JCB 1960 - Introduction of dual hydraulics and the innovative three-in-one backhoe bucket Stock
Much earlier than that. April 1957 Case had begun receiving orders (for the 320) from overseas. The next month, loader/backhoes were being prepared for shipment to Belgium, just as orders began arriving from Africa, Australia, the Middle East and S. America. By the end of 1960 Case had turned out 11 different models, a total of almost 11,000 wheeled loader/backhoes. At the Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, National Backhoe Contest of 1963, four of the first five places were won by case equipment, and seven of the top ten prizes went to the 530CK.
Nice pics.
I'm wondering about the Ford tractor and the cable swing backhoe I've seen on the early Fordson Major tractor. Anyone got a picture of one of these? Phil
A Whitlock was one locally a while back but I have been unable to locate it for piccs. Stock
I was always told that Case was the first true bachoe loader. Here's my little bit of proof. Now this was 1956 so who knows maybe in Europe someone had developed a backhoe that noone heard of in North America
Like I mentioned, Rojtman saw one on "something" (exactly what it says in my book) and Long built on the idea. Someone may have had some crude design on their machine to make life simpler but Rojtman and Long developed the hoe (Long doing a majority of the designing throughout the years).
Hey, Newbie here and interested in finding my first backhoe. It will probably be an older one as that might be all I can afford. I just need something to do some pond edging and yard/pasture leveling, plus rock digging. Question. I did see an fairly old Case that had been sitting in a barn for several years. Was told it had a stuck clutch. I only had a minute to look at it today. This was not a 3 point backhoe. There were no obvious numbers on the tractor, but the loader had "740" painted on the side. I can't find this backhoe model listed anywhere. Anyone have any idea about the hoe? Whe they get that old, is it too difficult to get parts for? Should I bite the bullet and get something a little newer? Thanks.
Whitlock are reckoned to have made the first backhoe/loader in Britain with JCB close behind . It was called the Whitlock Dinkum Digger I have never been able to find exact Whitlock dates but believe its around 1951 ,I have seen brochures etc for both manufacturers dated 1953 so they were certainly both marketing backhoe loaders by then. Mr JCB ,Joseph Cyril Bamford was a great self publicist and a because of JCB market leadership in UK many publications over the years quote him as inventing the backhoe loader ,but he never claimed this himself. Case came up with the first fully integrated machine in 1956 ( ie they made the WHOLE machine themselves ) whereas Whitlock and JCB were fitting their loaders and backhoes to Fordson Major tractors . The early Whitlocks also had loaders bought in from another manufactuer.
Plowjockey, Welcome to the forum. Not sure about the number on the hoe, we may need more info like a serial # from the tractor. Most hoe attachment parts, like cylinders, can be repaired with aftermarket parts. The tractor is a different story, but if it is a real antique, many used parts can be found with collectors. Phil
hello plowboy CASE seems to be the most popular backhoe out there. so should be the easiest to find used parts for. i prefer the ford line myself, but that is what i have used the most. Had an international/dresser that out performed the fords for size. smaller but just as strong. try to operate a few before deciding. good luck . Carogator:
That sounds like a early Whitlock Dinkum Digger I'll post a picture wgen I get accredited.
The Keystone Driller Co. in Beaver Falls, PA built in 1913 the first digging machine which had the configuration of a backhoe arm, also known as the pull scoop. I believe the name back hoe actually refers to the direction of digging instead of the location of the hoe on the machine. Before the "back" hoe all excavators (steam shovels) pushed the bucket forward to fill. Of course I could be completely wrong too!
Structural Failure! 1965 Case Model D530TC Construction King with Model 32 Bucket and Model 32 Backhoe. My father (RIP Pops) bought this machine back in the mid seventies, and maintained his 1200' gravel drive and hauled hundreds of cord of wood with it over the years. It took me exactly two days to bust up the loader frame/hydraulic reservoir by loading unprocessed quarry tailings! Damn ...
Gee JV that looks nasty but repairable have a read on the welding thread, might pick up a few pointers.
Thanks stock ... it is pretty nasty, although it would appear that it has been welded/repaired once before ... with horrible penetration. We have a real hotshot welder in town that has looked at it ... and claims for a couple hundred bucks he'll have it back in working order by next week. Just need to drain out the hydraulic fluid now, and get a magnet to pull out the reservoir vent - it fell in when the steel failed and the whole assembly twisted :Banghead :usa JV
My old man told me local excavators back in the 1950's used to have something resembling a backhoe mounted to a deuce and a half army truck.
Like GGGraham said Racine pounds Case in your head! Anybody know what the eagle that is standing on a globe in Case's emblem was named? Yep he has a name! By the way Racine High School's mascot is the Eagle and looks Excactly like the old Case emblem!
Name of the eagle is Old Abe. Way back when the dealers use to have a big cast iron eagle on the globe mounted on the building. Case was selling them off about 20 years ago....anyone buy one? Be cool if someone here did they could post a pic of it.
Hey Gil, is there any part of Case that you don't know?
old abe Hey gggraham, at work we have two of what I think you are talking about. They are heavy (probably cast) and are about 2' to 2-1/2' tall with old abe standing on a globe and case coming off either side. The colors are (I believe) green, red, and brown. I know I have seen two, but one I know for sure is laying under the front parts counter. If only they would sell it to me.......