Hi guys, I recently spilt my straight 410 to repair the reverser. Had no reverse. Found the reverse brake housing had failed. Replaced the part. New clutches and orings. All sealing rings replaced in both clutch packs. Put it back together, reverse is perfect. Forward is slow, it goes when it's cold. Check pressures and reverse is 125psi, forward is 25-50psi. Split machine again and find the sleeve for the forward clutch pack and the two seal rings worn and gauled badly. I had replaced the rings but not the sleeve. I understand why forward has no pressure. The rings and sleeve are toast. But I can decide the cause of the failure. Forward was good before. Now the rings are gone, sleeve is worn and it looks like the shoulder on the forward clutch pack has been riding on the edge of the sleeve. Looking at parts diagrams I can't see what keeps the shoulder off the sleeve so it must just ride there? Do you think the new rings in an old sleeve were the problem. I'm trying to work this out before I just put in new parts and reassemble it. Any ideas? Chuck
There seems to be two different ring part numbers depending on which drum you have, old or new, make sure they match. Also look carefully at the way the clutch piston, return spring washers, spacers if any and snap rings are assembled, it almost looks to me like you have a thrust problem, like when the clutch piston moves it's pushing the drum up hard against the sleeve? Just a guess.
Thanks. I'll check out the ring before ordering. Maybe just measure drum. I'm going to check return spring washers. The only other thing I can think of is that the clutch input shaft bound up a bit in the clutch splines forcing the housing backwards into the sleeve. Chuck
Ok. Sorted out the ring/sleeve issue. Parts ordered. I spent some time trying to figure out the issue. There is no way to position the forward clutch drum. It essentially floats between the dry clutch and the sleeve or ring. The only way it could be in constant contact with the sleeve is if it bound up in the dry clutch splines and did not slide forward. It's a bear to mate engine and reverser together. I think it just bound up. My plan is to grease the splines and depress the dry clutch as I start. Then slowly release dryclutch giving the forward drum the opportunity to move a bit. (I did not do this last time). Any other ideas? Chuck
Just an update. Got the 410 back together. Replaced the sleeve and the sealing rings for the forward drum. Lubed all contact surfaces and "unsplit" the machine. It went together really well, I'm impressed how easy it was. Despite the size, they really are made to work on. I made sure to depress the clutch pedal all the way in, disengaging the dry clutch. I was hoping this would allow the drum to float forward a bit during start up. Last time it was riding on the sleeve/ring. Slowly released the clutch then disengaged again, several times. After a 30 seconds I let the dry clutch engage and let the hydraulic system pressurize. Put it in forward and WOW! It just snaps into forward. It will pull uphill in high gear now! It really depressed me to split her twice but it's done and working great. Now to install the new swing frame and it might be a worker. Any advice on the wedge pins that allow the frame to pivot? I'm pulling the broken part off soon. Here is the new part with boom bushings installed. Chuck