Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 410c Oil / Antifreeze contamination

Chasrochon ยท 2012-02-04 10:32

I have a 1988 JD 410c and I was checking fluids the other day and I noticed that I'm losing antifreeze to the crancase oil and when I added antifreeze I found oil in the anti freeze. Thought it might be a head gasket problem.... local JD dealer suggested I check the oil cooler for possible failure. Ordered new cooler and gaskets and have pulled the cooler. Cooler looks ok but I'm changing everything out to be safe($300 for cooler alone - still waiting for parts to come in). Tractor runs like a top otherwise - 9800 hrs. Anyone have any thoughts on this cross contamination. Thanks!!

Replies5
  1. #1crewchief8882012-02-04 16:41

    if you dont smell ** in the exhaust while it's running or see any whitish smoke, it's probably the cooler. cooling system runs at 14psi (?), eng oil pressure could be 40 psi or more. closest area that has oil and a/f is the cooler. i'd be a good idea to have the rad cleaned while you're at it. :drinkup

  2. #2Chasrochon2012-02-04 17:05

    Thanks CC888 will give a good sniff once I put it back together... Got all my fingers and toes crossed.

  3. #3Chasrochon2012-08-06 08:11

    Turned out to b bad cylinder liner in #3 Cyl. Had complete rebuid of the engine... running like a top now!!

  4. #4tuney4432012-08-06 13:00

    NO, you mean it's running like a deere!!!! My little boy also loved being behind the wheel of my 510B when I bought her new back in '83.Came with a REAL Ertl Deere farm tractor,all steel with a steel chain drive and nice HD trailer.Anyway,I digress,glad it's running great for you--took 6 months huh??

  5. #5Chasrochon2012-08-06 14:52

    No... Just took that long to get back to the forum!!! Only took 1 month