We're about ready to pull our hair out over this hydraulic leak. We have looked it over for about a week in between running it a day or two. We have cleaned it all up and had to use it for a day and by the time it gets back the fluid is all over the tranny. We have replaced three different o-rings in fittings that we thought could be the problem, but it still leaves a puddle as big as it did before. We are 90% sure it is not a hose, but we cannot find a place that we can actually see fluid coming out of when laying underneath it. We have tried cleaning it and running it a little but can never find the problem. As bad as I hate to say it, I hope someone else has had this problem so they can tell me how to fix it (sorry if that is the case). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Is there a breather on the tranmission? Some breathers are really one waycheck valves, made to let air in but not let oil out. Clark had some of those on the convertor, the plastic poppet inside would come apart then oil would splash out but only at high RPM
I'm sure it has a breather. I will go check to make sure it's working like it should and get back to you. Thanks.
Well after actually sitting down and not overthinking this, I have narrowed it down some. oldseabee that was a good idea about the breather on the transmission (it was my fault for not clarifying that it was fluid out of the hyd. tank that has been leaking). So I checked the hydrualic tank breather to see if that was the problem. It wasn't, but I know that it is fluid that is in the hydraulic tank that is leaking. I checked the transmission fluid level by the book and it is not moving while we have had to add a little bit of fluid to the hydraulic tank over the last couple of weeks. So now that 90% sure about a hydraulic hose is not so sure anymore. Like I said any ideas would be wonderful and not overlooked. Thanks.
Your just going to have to keep digging deeper until you find your leak HB-RD-Shop. You might try removing the floor plate above tranny and operating the machine to get a better look at the topside.
Check up around the steering and brake valves, they can have shaft seals or fittings leaking and running down onto the trans. Oil can follow sheet metal or frame parts and show up a long way from where the leak is.
Transmission Intermediate Plate and Gaskets Image 6 with 3,4, and 5 combined goes in between the two housings. I think that this is our problem. At the very top of the the two housings, I can watch fluid seeping out and seems to be just enough to make a puddle that the machine leaves after sitting overnight. I would assume that these two gaskets (3 and 5) can go bad just like any other gasket, wouldn't you guys say.
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt This is where I found the breakdown.
I'm a little confused. You said that you were losing Hydraulic oil, not transmission oil. The gaskets shown would leak transmission oil not hydraulic unless the whole machine uses the same oil for both systems with a common resevoir.
No the Tansmission has it's own fluid and the hydraulic system has it's own seperate fluid. I have confused myself over this mess. I'm going to say that the hydraulic fluid that needed to be added was because in the process of trying to find the leak, it looked like a few different hyd. lines were leaking, so we took them off and replaced o-rings. Fluid was lost when doing this, and not added at that point in time. And, it was leaking so little fluid that between a few different operators checking the dipstick over the last few days, it never went low enough to add, so nobody thought anything of it, because they thought it was a hyd. leak and not a tranny fluid leak. I'm very sorry for the confusion, but thanks to everyone who has helped. I think the dealer is going to come and get it to fix it in their shop, because it should be under warranty. I will let you know what they have to replace. Thanks again.