Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 410G shifting problems

ClaytonM357 ยท 2014-12-16 21:14

I have a 2002 John Deere 410G that I just bought. First problem I had was hydraulic oil was overflowing out of dipstick. After online research I found the vent on top of transmission was clogged and created this problem. I then replaced the wasted hydraulic oil. Now the transmission will not shift out of 1st gear. Anyone have any ideas on why this may be? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

Replies3
  1. #1Deon2014-12-17 06:57

    Do you have a power shift (twist selector on the FNR lever) or a stick shift on the floor?

  2. #2ClaytonM3572014-12-17 07:48

    It has the power shift.

  3. #3Deon2014-12-17 20:55

    Not familiar with the power shift mechanics but I remember reading on this forum that the Cat backhoe would not shift when the battery voltage is low. I would check your battery voltage and charging voltage. After machine has set overnight, battery should read 12.4 or more volts and you should get 13.8 or higher at the battery terminals with engine at low idle. If all this checks out then I would go over all wire connections that are going to your transmission. Hopefully by keeping your question up here someone with more knowledge will help.