Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 410K Regen Issues

Under_Pressure ยท 2023-03-12 22:21

I've got a 410K that has not been able to complete a regen, and is now in derate. When you do a parked regen it speeds up like it's supposed to and the monitor says "preparing to clean" but generally only ever gets to 35-40% and doesn't really progress any farther. It never gets to the actual "cleaning" mode. I removed the filter and had the dpf and doc cleaned (dpf was fairly dirty) but hasn't seemed to help. I'm wondering if perhaps one of the temp sensors in the filter is bad so it doesn't think it's making enough heat to go into cleaning mode? I'd give that a try if there seemed like a reasonable chance it was the problem, but I hate to throw $500 parts at it blindly. The only code I see is the one basically saying "dpf is clogged so run a regen you dummy" even though now I KNOW it's not clogged because it just got cleaned but apparently the machine needs to do a successful regen regardless to make it go away. This started when I brought it home for the winter in December and I've kind of been messing around with it since, but spring is coming and I need to get this working. Any ideas are appreciated.

Replies7
  1. #1mg23612023-03-13 04:57

    First, a machine serial number please. What specific code/codes (all 8 digits please) do you have? First thing to check which is easy, what is the engine temperature? If it does not go over 140*F, it will get kicked out of a regen.

  2. #2Under_Pressure2023-03-13 11:33

    SN 1T0410KXCEE258670 The codes I see on the monitor are only 6 digits- 3719.16 (DPF soot load moderately high) and 1569.31 (engine derated see manual). Your question re: engine temp raises a good point- to me, only based on the temp gauge (so I'm not sure how it correlates to actual degrees) it seems to not warm up like it should. I can let it run at idle, or even higher speed (like in regen mode) for a long time and the coolant temp won't move off of low. Yesterday, after I had replaced the newly cleaned exhaust filter and it still wouldn't regen I thought maybe I just needed to get some heat in it so I drove it around, pushed some snow, etc. to work it (though keep in mind I was limited by the engine being in derate). The temp gauge finally moved, though it never got higher than maybe 25% of the range on the gauge. Then I parked it and immediately started a regen. It went right through the "preparing to clean" this time, where it usually only gets to 30-40%. Once it got to 100% it went into cleaning mode, the only time it has ever done so. However it only got to 1% in cleaning mode after a couple minutes, then went back to "preparing to clean" at 99% and wouldn't move. What I noticed was shortly after I started the regen, the fan kicked into high (or whatever it does- started making a lot more fan noise) and the coolant temp plummeted back to the extreme low end of the gauge. And right after that is when it went from looking like it was going to work to back to getting stuck preparing to clean. So perhaps it could be a thermostat issue or something? It's just odd to me that the only codes I'm seeing are telling me that the dpf needs to regen if the machine has other information as to WHY it can't regen. Edit: FYI I'm in Wisconsin. For the most part it hasn't been arctic cold when I've been trying this, but it has been winter in WI. So generally 30s or colder. I got the machine at the end of August, and used it for a job in Sept-Oct with no apparent issues. But I'm not sure if a regen issue would have necessarily presented itself in that short of time. It has only been since winter time that it has had this issue.

  3. #3mg23612023-03-13 12:06

    That is the six digit format, they just leave the first two zeroes off in the display. Unfortunately, 3719.16 will require dealer intervention at this point. They will need to perform a regen with Service Advisor. Also, since the DPF has been cleaned, there will need to be a reset done so the ECU knows it has been cleaned. You can see the engine temperature in degrees in the monitor. If you press and hold the menu button for 5 seconds after keying on, you will enter the service mode. From there scroll to diagnostics/engine/coolant temp to see the degrees. Being derated, you might not reach temp due to the cooling system's capacity and the engine running at low power.

  4. #4Under_Pressure2023-03-13 12:27

    OK thanks a lot for that information. At this point I'm most interested in knowing what the path forward should be, if that requires a dealer then so be it. I'm not sure if this is something you can shed any light on or not, but- for something like this (taking care of an engine code/forcing a regen) do you think a JD ag dealer would be able to do it? I have an ag dealer location literally just down the road. If I have to take it to the industrial dealer, I will need to haul it an hour or so away. I wouldn't expect an ag dealer to perform serious repairs on construction equipment (except for the lighter stuff they do sell) but perhaps something like this is minor and common enough between ag and industrial that they would have the equipment and expertise to do it?

  5. #5mg23612023-03-14 04:42

    An AG dealer could probably perform the required tasks. They would have to use the engine serial number, and not the machine serial number because as an AG dealer, they do not have access to C&F products, but like all Deere dealers, they do have access to all engines. Hopefully, they have the experience to determine the root cause of your regen issue.

  6. #6Under_Pressure2023-03-17 17:03

    So the ag dealer was able to handle it. Turns out BOTH of the issues mentioned above were at play. They hooked it up to do the regen/recalibration but it still wouldn't go into regen. Same as me, they noticed that they couldn't get it to warm up and if it finally did get close to a temp where it could regen the fan kicked on and dropped it back down to ice cold. So they replaced the thermostat and that did the trick. Another thousand bucks later and I'm back in business... Speaking of money- after I picked up the exhaust filter from being cleaned I realized I didn't have the gaskets that go between the sections (round/conical things that look like some kind of graphite material) so I stopped by the Deere industrial dealer on the way through to pick some up. Knew I'd pay a premium over a generic equivalent, but figured there weren't any other local options. I just about hit the floor when he said $150 a piece (need 2)...

  7. #7mg23612023-03-18 05:22

    Thanks for posting the results. Glad to hear your issue has been resolved.