Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Its the fuel, its ALWAYS the fuel… 580SL at high rpm starving for the juice

Glosol · 2023-03-13 02:00

Ive done the obvious stuff. New filter, new water seperator, checked tube in fuel tank for blockage, there was none. It idles great, but ramp up the rpms a bit and the power starts to drop off then eventually the engine shuts off. From what I can see, I have good lines. No leaks or cracks, the inside of the rubber fuel lines even look intact as in not broken down and plugging stuff up. Is there a filter at (or in) the injection pump I should check? I can prime the mechanical lift pump and have fuel from the return line going back into the tank. I would assume thats the typical situation. So... what have i missed? I have to think its fuel. The best advice I have had so far on diesel engines in general, is what I wrote in the title. Its always the fuel. Until its not?

Replies15
  1. #1Acecadet2023-03-13 06:00

    Did you check the operation of your fuel lift pump? Sounds like that may be the next logical place to look.

  2. #2Glosol2023-03-13 07:11

    I can pump the handle and get fuel to return to the tank thru the injector pump. My thought was lift pump as well, is there a simple test for that? I have no fuel mixed with the engine oil, so i think the diaphragm is intact.

  3. #3Acecadet2023-03-13 07:50

    Ok how about the shut down solenoid. Maybe tie in a light bulb to see if it is losing power when your engine dies.

  4. #4Glosol2023-03-13 10:01

    Right. Damn fine idea. There isnt much else it can be. Maybe hook up a pressure guage after the lift pump to check pressure if solenoid checks out...

  5. #5Acecadet2023-03-13 10:18

    Sounds good.

  6. #6Billrog2023-03-13 11:13

    Tank able to breath ?

  7. #7DMiller2023-03-13 11:25

    Return restriction missing or check valve stuck open? Has to build and retain some pressure.

  8. #8Glosol2023-03-13 11:32

    Solid points. Its so easy, for me anyway, to completely forget the basics and over analyze the problem. Thats the direction I was headed, and yall stopped me just in time. Thanks all!

  9. #9Glosol2023-03-13 11:33

    o

  10. #10Glosol2023-03-13 11:35

    Havent seen either of those in the fuel lines. Is that my fix?

  11. #11DMiller2023-03-13 16:04

    Return valve should be on pump housing, should be some form of restriction or relief style one way check or orifice. Been too long since in one of these.

  12. #12thepumpguysc2023-03-13 20:30

    What inj pump is on it.?? Bosch VE.?? The lift pump is very important. Working the hand primer doesn’t tell u the operation of the pump.

  13. #13Acoals2023-03-13 20:43

    I have encountered fuel lines that looked perfect that were collapsing internally. I could blow air through them and everything. I never trust the fuel lines on an older machine. Some of the Cats have a fuel water separator housing that has a black cap with an o ring, when that o ring fails it draws air but doesn't leak externally, at least the one I encountered didn't.

  14. #14Glosol2023-03-13 23:50

    I didnt realize there was more than one injection pump used, and I have no idea of that brand. As lame as this sounds, its whatever a case 580 Super L (not the series 2) had on it. To test the lift pump, would it be wise to add a guage after the lift and before the water separator?

  15. #15Glosol2023-03-13 23:54

    I will check on that tonite.