Hey Guys, I'm in the short rows, but one of the fuel lines coming from the pump, where it connects to the motor, leaks. I've tightened it down, but it seems to be leaking out from the bottom of the connector. What can I try? Teflon tape the threads? Some type of loctite-sealant? Pipe dope? John Deere 444D Serial DW444DB509098 TM-1341 is the repair manual PC2059 is the parts catalog I appreciate the help; I've learned a tremendous amount from the experience. Thanks, BSG
For the life of me, I can’t make out where the line is coming from and what it’s connected to.?? How about a wider angle and point to the leak.. I’d be happy to help..
Seems to be a lot of pics. are too close up lately. Close up is OK but only after a larger pic. that shows the overall layout and where everything comes and goes. Also good to point out exactly where the problem is especially when there is more than one place that could be leaking.
The fuel line nut is seriously mangled. How did that happen?
I noticed that too and if that is the leaking connection I'd bet the flare or inside sealing surface is damaged. It is really mangled!
That is the line from an injection pump to the injector. Standard Stanadyne stuff. Without looking, either a DB2 or a DB4 with pencil nozzles.
None of the above. You need a new line and possibly an injector.
Maybe the injector line nut is crossthreaded? Or the seat area of the fitting is damaged?
Ha. This is an older machine and I've "inherited" a lot of issues. The mangled nut? Your guess is as good as mine. Probably the last gorilla that worked on this machine and had his way with it.
I suspected this would be the answer, but thought I would explore if there were other options. I'll be looking in the parts manual, of course, but I have a hunch that is this something that needs to be custom made by a shop that does such fuel lines? Is that correct?
Worst case, you can purchase fuel lines, which will be straight. Then you can bend them, form them, to fit reasonably well. The important thing is the replacement line has to be the same length.
Nope. Bought pre-made from Deere. Which cylinder is that line/injector? Looks like cylinder #1?? It is available for either $90. Injection nozzle, if needed, is around $120-$125 (there are 2 listed for that machine).
Have u tried tightening it using the 2 wrench method.. U see the flats on the injector.. I think it’s a 9/16..
Thanks mg, I think it's actually #14 because it goes to the very rear of the machine. I'll be sure to double check. thanks for the heads up!
No, I've only tried the one wrench method. I'll try this next and if that doesn't get it I'll go MG's route and get a new fuel line/injector. Thanks!