Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jd 444E slow high speed…

Tags · 2012-11-27 18:03

We have a Deere 444E wheel loader with about 5000 one owner hrs on it, it has had a relatively easy life and doesnt get used hard or often. It seems that when we travel on the road with it the high speed doesn't seem to be as fast as it used to be, low speed is fine, it goes into a pile no problem. It has been serviced regularly and we recently changed the trans filters and fluid and it hasn't made a difference, anyone have any thoughts on what to check next??

Replies10
  1. #1Viper8812020-02-10 14:07

    Did you ever figure out what the problem was? We are having the same issue

  2. #2Tags2020-02-10 18:26

    Nope! Never figured it out but did not try that hard either, shortly after I posted the problem we sold the machine, guys that bought it didn't seem to care....I would use the "start a conversation" feature (private message) with a member that goes by mg2361, he is a Deere guy and is incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, he was not here when I posted. Have your serial number handy....

  3. #3mg23612020-02-11 05:14

    Welcome to HEF Viper ! Serial number is a good start. First thing to check however regardless of the serial number is the inching pedal cable/linkage/valve. From the left pedal there is a cable that runs back to a lever on the transmission. Make sure the pedal and the linkage as well as the lever on the transmission the cable is attached to returns completely when your foot is off the pedal.

  4. #4Viper8812020-02-11 11:37

    Hi mg2361, The serial number: CK444EB000537 I will dig into that first right now. I changed all fluids and filters for Hydrulics and trans hoping it would help, and it did not.

  5. #5Viper8812020-02-11 16:12

    The linkage/valve returns to the correct position by the transmission. Another thing I attempted: I put it in first gear and could spin the tires trying to push in the loading dock. The 2 front tires both spun, and one of the back ones would. Neither back one spun at the same time as the fronts did. In the manual right next to the “adjust inching pedal” page, is the “adjust front axle disconnect cable.” I do not see that cable located in the cab or on the front axle. Not sure if that/what I’m explaining, could be a problem, or part of the problem of why it would go over 9mph in high gear.

  6. #6mg23612020-02-12 04:07

    You do not have that "option" on your loader based on the build codes for your serial number. Sounds like it may be a motor displacement control valve issue. So you have the tech manual TM1421? Time to check pressures. If you go to page 9020-25-5, right side of the page, follow (D) for transport speed slow diagnostic procedure and (E) speed is slow and power is good procedure.

  7. #7Viper8812020-02-12 17:43

    I have the tm1422....it only goes up to 3160-24 and then jump to dealer fabricated tools group 9900-1. Do you have a picture of the page that I good use to follow?

  8. #8mg23612020-02-13 04:17

    Sorry, no. If you are going to do any troubleshooting or testing you really need to get a hold of the TM1421 Operation and Test manual. https://sellfy.com/p/oV0R/ https://www.epcatalogs.com/john-deere-344e-444e-loader-operation-test-tm1421-technical-manual-pdf/

  9. #9Viper8812020-02-14 14:39

    Bought the manual, and am looking at how to do that testing. I do not have the any gauges for testing this . Do you think it will be wise to buy this gauge and attempt myself, or call a professional?

  10. #10mg23612020-02-15 04:30

    I sent you a PM.