Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 444J head bolt torque specs

Spiva Const · 2023-08-26 19:44

I’ve had to replace the head gasket on my 444j and wanted to know the torque specs. I’ve found a few specs on google but just wanted to check here. Does it require oil on the bolts or dry? Any other tips would be appreciated. The machine is low hours so I’m not sure why it failed but it didn’t get water in the cylinders on crankcase.

Replies4
  1. #1mg23612023-08-27 07:35

    If a two valve head, Torque is with oil lubricated bolts: Initial torque 75 lbft Second round, 110 lbft Wait 5 minutes, then 110 lbft again Final torque: Torque turn 60 degrees

  2. #2Spiva Const2023-08-27 10:02

    Thanks for the response.

  3. #3Spiva Const2023-08-30 22:53

    I finally got the time to put the head back on and was wondering how to get the 60deg extra turn after the 110 ft lb torque. I got to thinking there is 60 degrees between each point of a hex bolt “6X60” = 360. So I used a sharpie to mark one point on the head and another on the top of the hex head, then turned until they lined up. This way I could use a long handle ratchet in the tight area. Maybe everyone already knows this method but new to me!

  4. #4Diesel Dave2023-08-30 23:06

    Yup, works like a charm ! You don’t accidentally miss any bolts either.