Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 450 dozer towing

pjflyer ยท 2022-11-21 14:54

Hi all, I found a JD 450 (straight) dozer around 1969, but not sure. The engine is blown, but the rest is i good shape and the price is right. The owner can lift it up to drive a trailer under it to load it. The rub is getting it off. I don't have enough equipment to lift it up, but I can drag it off with another dozer. My question is will the tracks caster or roll, or will they be locked up and have to drag it off. Thanks.

Replies5
  1. #1Welder Dave2022-11-21 16:14

    Should roll in neutral. Try pulling it a bit before you load it. I pulled my Cat 931B loader on flat ground with a 4800lb. skid steer. Spun some pulling it up on 2x6's but I didn't have a run at it and was at about a 15 deg. angle pulling.

  2. #2redneckracin2022-11-21 16:48

    A straight 450 should roll in neutral. The question would be will the tracks move!

  3. #3pjflyer2022-11-21 18:17

    Thanks for the replies. The owner said it's been sitting for about 3 years. I don't know if the tracks or stiff or not. I'm not familiar enough with JD's to know if the internals: final drive, clutches, and transmission will free wheel in neutral or not.

  4. #4mudnducs2022-11-25 10:19

    Did it roll

  5. #5pjflyer2022-11-25 10:52

    Nope!! It just slid all the way. We did put some planks on the lowboy which helped as it pulled the boards with it, once off though, they never broke loose. I have a Case 850 dozer which didn't have any problems pulling it and we still had some snow and soft ground which helped. Just had to spend some time back blading the mess it made pulling it. It'll be next year before we get time to get into it. I'll see if the engine block has any internal damage or if I can patch the hole and rebuild it. I've done a few of these engines before, being part of the reason for getting it. I'm not sure if I'll get this going and sell my 850 or put it back up for sale once it's operating. Thanks for the input.