Hey guys, I have a 78' or 79' JD 450C dozer that was rebuilt last spring. Recently I noticed that it was starting harder than normal as far as crank time. The other day I was using it and it shut down on me. The machine will run on ether but will not stay running. I noticed there was a very minimal leak coming from the pump itself which just ended up being a fuel line not threaded on all the way but that didn't resolve the issue either. Im not finding much information online but I'm assuming there is air in the system due to the loose fuel line and wondered if any of you knew where the primer on this thing is/if anyone has had a similar situation happen. Any help is greatly appreciated !
That may have resolved the issue, once you get the air bled out and running again. the priming lever is on the transfer pump if you have a primer, that will bleed the air out of the fuel filter and the body of the injection pump, but not the injection lines. You need to loosen the injection lines at the injector, at least one to start. Carefully with a wrench on the injector so you don't break anything. With the nut loosened a one full turn or more, crank it until there's fuel squirting out with no more bubbles. Then tighten and it should run if it hasn't already started.
I had a 450 C. The problem I like that was ltke that there was crap in the fuel tank. I the tank off and power washed the inside. Check the little screen where the fuel comes out of the tank. I removed it and put in a fuel filter there. The other problem I had like that was the injector pump shelled out. There are plastic pieces in it that will eventually go bad.
I had the vent to the tank plugged. If it runs w cap loose, that may be issue. It’s a small tube inside the fill neck that runs out the bottom of the tank. A bit of welding wire riffed it out. Also, JDcrawlers forum has good info. Good luck, Darryl
Thank you all for the useful info, I will see what happens !