Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 450 loader issues, need Help

autigers100 · 2022-10-29 11:20

I have a 1966 JD 450 crawler loader that has a couple of issues that I believe are related and I need some assistance. I believe these issues are related to the engine clutch. These are the issues: 1. Most of the time clutch pedal does not return to the normal position after being depressed. 2. The loader will pull forward but does not have very much power to the tracks. Motor is running fine and does not bog down. Currently the loader will not pull up a 1 foot grade in reverse. This started yesterday. 3. The speed change selector will pop out of gear when moving. You can not change the speed when the motor is running. it will grind the gears. You must turn the motor off, change from low to high and then start the engine. This has been an issue since I purchased the loader. I need some input on these issues, I suspicion clutch/pressure plate issue or a throw out bearing assembly issue. No noise coming from the throw out bearing. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Replies3
  1. #1Tinkerer2022-10-29 14:10

    Have you cleaned or lubricated the clutch linkage ? If you have to shut off the engine to shift gears, you need to make sure the clutch linkage moves freely and the adjustment needs to be set properly. Do you have a service manual for it ?

  2. #2autigers1002022-10-30 08:48

    I do have a service manual. I believe that I have corrected the speed change issue. The other issues remain. How do identify which transmission it has? Constant mesh or HLR?

  3. #3Diesel Dave2022-10-30 09:27

    If there is an oil filter behind the front grill and an oil cooler bolted to the side of the radiator it’s an HLR