Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 450 – Something Is Damaging Track Chain

Airman89 · 2024-07-29 21:55

I’ve been noticing it seems to be screeching louder now as I’m moving and then I happened to notice this the other day. I can’t see anything that could be causing this. The picture doesn’t do it justice. Every pin location is rubbed/grinded pretty good. Anyone ever seen this?

Replies11
  1. #1Tyler d4c2024-07-29 22:44

    Rollers are worn deep and the rail is worn short roller flanges are hitting the pin bosses. Undercarriage most likely needs replaced

  2. #2OMF2024-08-05 21:24

    Replace the rollers, or Run her to destruction....your choice. I assume it’s a private unit, how many hours a year you expect to run?

  3. #3Airman892024-08-06 09:34

    Yeah it’s a private unit. I’m using it to grade my land and finish a pond. I have maybe 3 full days left of work, is this something that will grenade fast or could I finish up then replace the rollers? Anyone bought rollers outside of the dealer? I see they’re a lot cheaper at some online places. I plan on running it maybe 200-250 hours a year if I had to guess.

  4. #4Tags2024-08-06 09:51

    Run it till destruction. You’ll get plenty of use. The undercarriage rollers, idlers, and bottom rollers probably need to be replaced anyway.i would imagine the pins may have been turned once on the tracks so everything is on its way out. Run it till the tracks won’t stay on. Especially if you’re not running it for profit.

  5. #5OMF2024-08-06 12:46

    Finish what you’re doing now, and then think about rollers.....Aftermarket goods are what you want for a private machine. Figure out what it’s going to cost you, and then decide if it’s worthwhile for your use.

  6. #6Landbutchr2024-08-07 00:39

    One way to stop the scuffing of your pin bosses is to cut off the roller flanges

  7. #7Airman892024-08-29 10:30

    Well it looks like it’s only the one side and it’s the rear roller that is seized. Is it possible to just take the track chain apart to replace a roller? The front ones are firm but I can’t make them spin by hand. The other side pulleys spin but are probably too loose I’m assuming (They wobble)?

  8. #8Vetech632024-08-29 12:04

    Cut off the flanges?

  9. #9ippielb2024-08-29 14:10

    The raised lip that keeps the chain centered on the roller. It doesn't wear down in height, but the surface the chain rides on wears down, eventually making that flange exaggeratedly taller, causing the rubbing.

  10. #10DMiller2024-09-16 05:39

    Knew a great many owners had their mechanics trim the roller flanges as rail riding surfaces eroded away, rough on man and machine.

  11. #11Tones2024-09-16 06:43

    Basically it's only cosmetic. Run it as is and run to destruction and by some new earplugs. The time to fix is when the chains need replacing then do the lot. Half worn parts because spears for the next time.