Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 450A with cab and hoe

joispoi ยท 2010-07-04 13:10

You don't see too many 450's like this one.

Replies9
  1. #1powerjoke2010-07-04 13:46

    deffinatly a strange combo, aside from the obvious of not needing to own 2 machines, what was these combo's marketed for? I have even seen one that was a Dozer/Hoe setup Pj

  2. #2willie592010-07-04 14:16

    Actually, those machines were popular with general contractors back in the late 60's and early 70's, the years when the modern TLB were not the powerful machines they are now. As TLB got more powerful and stronger, started seeing the crawler with a hoe sort of wain away as they were an awkward machine to work with. Looks like that one had side shift on the hoe.

  3. #3td25c2010-07-04 14:56

    Yes,the track loader / backhoe combo was very popular in my area until about the mid 1980's.still see a few anound,they worked pretty well for the times.Now the loader in joispoi's post has something on it that I never saw before.I could be wrong but it looks like the hoe unit can be side shifted on the sub frame.Pretty cool.The combo units that I was around just had standard out riggers & quick hitch.

  4. #4willie592010-07-04 15:31

    Yep, remember a number of them back in the day 25c. Building contractors used them to do site prep, dig foundation footers, and water/sewer lines. Farmers used them to clear/maintain land, dig ponds, and take care of the occsional dead cow. I can't say for certain, but it seems to me that as tractor loader backhoes got bigger and stronger, the crawler hoe kinda faded away.

  5. #5joispoi2010-07-04 23:34

    I've never seen one with the hoe mounted. I know a couple guys that used to run 450's. They both had the hoe attachments, but I never once saw them mounted to the machines, they always seemed to be collecting leaves and rust.

  6. #6Greg2010-07-15 22:38

    Got a 450C set up like that. It is heavy as hell on the backend with the hoe on. About the only thing they are good for is long straight trenching job. Real bit-- to work on, hydraulics are junk on them. On and on goes the list.

  7. #7spitzair2010-07-16 22:47

    My neighbour has a 2010 (I think it's a forerunner to the 450) crawler dozer with a backhoe... It's the only dozer I've ever seen with a backhoe. I keep trying to talk him into giving it to me, it's been sitting unused for a while...

  8. #8Deere John2010-07-17 07:54

    Here's Mine - not a track loader, but it is a 1966 450A. Really good for kids, little else.

  9. #9AussieChris2010-07-18 21:10

    Hey Deere John, I'm curious as to why the stabilizer legs are on there? I thought a track machine would be solid enough without them. Maybe that hoe was used on wheeled tractors as well? Nice tidy looking rig though. Chris Brisbane Australia.