Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

jd 450b direct drive delay?

taggmann ยท 2009-11-14 17:54

Looked at a 1971 john deere 450. would not steer to one side but if both handles were pulled back it would stop (steering clutch not frozen?) I think it needs brake adj. but owner said it was getting progressively worse fast, last time he got on it worked today it wouldn't. Steering capability went away even when parked for a couple days. Any ideas? Also not familiar with this model. When I let the clutch out the machine did not move right away? almost like slack in drive train? notable but not too heavy whiring noise in neutral when clutch is let out, goes away when clutch depressed? How hard to change steering clutches and brake bands? Thanks.

Replies3
  1. #1special tool2009-11-14 18:45

    Okay - you are lucky. Both pulled back and stop = adjustment only. I'll try to be brief.... You need to tighten down the brake bell crank on the side with no steer. We know this because your are de-clutching (both back and stop), but you are not steering - this is because the power of the good side will allow the machine to track straight when you try to steer. You can call me tomorrow and I'll tell you what to do. 203-994-8948 - I'm on kid-watch detail, so I'll be happy to talk.:drinkup Mine also is a little slow to engage until the hydraulic oil warms up. P.S. - don't listen to "Greg", if he posts here - he hates JD's.....

  2. #2taggmann2009-11-15 22:47

    The guy selling the machine called me today. Said The jamb nut was loose on the adjuster. so he was happy it was a simple adjustment. Still not sure about the delay reaction clutch? Thanks Special tool for the info.

  3. #3big-c2011-05-05 05:31

    how hard is it to adjust the brake bands on the 450b????