Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6R fire

TimHay ยท 2009-11-15 20:23

I finished a small road job. went to get my cat 4 days later and this is what I found.(i hope this works)

Replies48
  1. #1cummins052009-11-15 20:39

    Arson or electrical you figure ?

  2. #2powerjoke2009-11-15 20:45

    Look at the first pic, looks like it started in the belly pan.....? Sorry to hear about your machine though Pj

  3. #3swampdog2009-11-15 20:53

    I hope you have good insurance. Will you fix it?

  4. #4powerjoke2009-11-15 21:01

    If they wont fix it for you, Try to buy it back from them as owner you have first right of refusal.........and if you dont want it let me know I would be interested in it Pj

  5. #5TimHay2009-11-15 21:09

    I think arson. Firechief said it could of been the batteries. The master switch was off (my operator said) could not find the key though, the ignition key was were we hide it, but not the master. Yes i have insurance they are writing it off over 86,000 in damage. paid 87,500 at richie brothers in the spring.I know the owner. It ran great burned no oil need a undercarrige but big deal. No chemical residue was found in the cab

  6. #6TimHay2009-11-15 21:15

    I can buy it back 10-15%. I dont know yet. The ripper is worth about 10+/- Here are some more pics. It never it never got to the motor

  7. #7zbo22009-11-15 21:25

    i would think if it started in the belly pan there would be some soot in the engine compartment and i don't see any.

  8. #8TimHay2009-11-15 21:33

    I had just did the hardbar right before that job, and we cleaned out the stump pans. Also it was sitting for 4 days before the fire started so I am almost positive it never came from the stump pan

  9. #9zbo22009-11-15 21:37

    doesn't look like it from what i see.....but it sure looks like a torch job.......man that is burned.

  10. #10swampdog2009-11-15 21:47

    A buy back at 10-15% sounds promising, if you have the time to part it out or fix it. I've looked at similar machines - maybe even yours - at RB in Edmonton. As you know, they usually have lots of them there at the sales. The main problem with RB in Edmonton is that the auctions are too popular and too many buyers drive the prices up. If I remember correctly, they set a sales record for the company there this past spring.

  11. #11cummins052009-11-15 21:48

    Probably arson to bad Tim funny how the master is gone. I dunno if i would buy it back could get burnt again in repairs if you cant do it all yourself . but if you can then you might be laughing all the way to the bank

  12. #12TimHay2009-11-15 21:56

    I wont fix it my self. no time. I am off to richie in G P on the 24 and 25 if i buy the same kind i might keep it for parts. I would'nt have to buy the ripper then

  13. #13cummins052009-11-15 22:00

    Rippers and winches are retarded in price for what they are. hey maybe you could buy some Iron of horizan cheap right now lol

  14. #14TimHay2009-11-18 21:25

    Insurance settled today 89,000 and i keep the cat. So know iam off to richie brothers monday night to buy a another.

  15. #15swampdog2009-11-18 21:31

    Sounds like fun. Buy me a gravel screener while you're there - please. lol

  16. #16TimHay2009-11-18 21:59

    Whats your bid # nothing like spending someone elses money

  17. #17Burnout2009-11-18 22:02

    Where did your dozer burn? We had a 8N out a few weeks back, someone drained the oil in the engine, started the dozer and let it run, then shot out the windows and some sheet metal and drained the fuel tank.

  18. #18TimHay2009-11-18 22:09

    On highway 633, 2 miles from Alberta Beach and 2 miles from my house

  19. #19Burnout2009-11-18 22:12

    Ours burned near Alberta Beach but I am not quite sure where abouts. I will ask our service guy tommorrow. It's a shame it was one of our nicest 8N's

  20. #20TimHay2009-11-18 22:17

    Always happens to the good ones Mine had 6300hrs burned no oil i just did the hard bar. What can you do

  21. #21Burnout2009-11-18 22:40

    Ours had 30 or so thousand hours on her, burned some oil but she pushed like a champ. Plus the cab was still in decent shape.

  22. #22cummins052009-11-18 23:04

    gee maybe the guy got mixed up and thought your D6 was a surway dozer tim lol Maybe we need to put ATTN not a surway machine on them now

  23. #23dozerbill572009-11-18 23:27

    Sorry for your guys loss ! Maybe you guys better install som hidden cameras in case thebe or a vandal strikes you again , maybe some one you know ! :usa :drinkup I am sorry about your loss , some one steals my tools off my locked truck often ! Wish i could catch who ever . :usa

  24. #24zbo22009-11-18 23:55

    hey dozerbill..........maybe you need the hidden camera.....lol

  25. #25dozerbill572009-11-19 08:21

    HiddenCamera I am looking into the hidden camera zbo2 , trying to figure out where to place on a service truck where it can't be found . The dozers that was burn't and vandalized , maybe put battery operated camera in brush , up tree , on hill side. How many times can our friends take those kind of hits . :usa :beatsme zbo2 couldn't you think of something better to say !

  26. #26zbo22009-11-19 17:36

    lol.....sorry, didn't mean to get all up in your feelings...just stating the obvious.........i have some friends who are using the trail cams to keep an eye on their kids at night makin sure they are not sneekin out of the house.......if they had them years ago, i would have been caught more than once....lol

  27. #27dozerbill572009-11-19 18:22

    Sorry zbo2 Yo are a nice guy , lost my cool , i knew i would be eating crow !

  28. #28zbo22009-11-19 18:39

    hey............it's all good bro.

  29. #29Scottk2009-11-19 19:34

    let me know if you want to sell it. [email protected]

  30. #30Burnout2009-11-19 20:37

    Haha very funny....lol Should also put... Not Horizon Earthworks as well.

  31. #31Tinkerer2009-11-20 07:04

    By all means get the trail camera. Last summer three burglars made the news , they were breaking into a garage that was attached to a home. Turns out the homeowner had a trail cam set on video mode in a tree next to the driveway. He knew that deer were crossing his driveway and simply wanted to get a video of the deer. The police had the crooks in the slammer the next day.

  32. #32zbo22009-11-20 15:08

    nice........

  33. #33muller2010-10-28 21:02

    Hello, look i had the same problem witha d6rxl but it burned complitely except the engine, we think the fire started somewhere on the manifull and fuel injector but we dont know exactly, i cant post pics because i am new on the forum, but as soon as i can i will.

  34. #34Lee-online2010-10-28 22:23

    I have seen a few fires started from the battery cable shorting to the frame. I fixed a D9R that burnt up. The fire investigator found the cable and the clamp that holds it to the frame had rubbed through and shorted out. The master was not off so it arced until it set the machine on fire. The cable ran along the inside of the left frame rail along with other hoses including the fuel lines. They burnt through and then the fuel tank drained all the fuel into the belly pans under the cab. Whenever i see a clamp with the protective plastic worn off, i replace it.

  35. #35The Farmboy2010-10-28 23:17

    any bdy got any pics

  36. #36jimrr2010-10-28 23:57

    with unemployment like it is you might find someone to start replacing burned wires, seats, repaint and such. it might take them a few weeks but it looks like you could bring it back with a lot of elbow grease. If that was arson they'll get theirs though you may never hear of it.

  37. #37muller2010-10-29 09:01

    yes i got some pics, the thimgs is that i have no permission of the forum to post them.

  38. #38Balto2010-10-29 10:36

    Burnt D6 What were you hoping to get out of your cat, you keep the winch. Thanks

  39. #39raolela2010-10-31 09:01

    arson is big possible... look liek a beautiful machine, only cabin is fired...bad news...

  40. #40TimHay2010-10-31 13:33

    It was a great cat, the guy that bought it fixed it and it is back up and running

  41. #41cummins052010-10-31 23:43

    wow you are alive Tim lol how is life goin for you things pick up at all for you.

  42. #42ziggy2010-11-01 11:43

    The trail cams work and are cheap. I have seen a few fires where the battery box cover was shorting out to the post on the battery.

  43. #43ziggy2010-11-01 12:07

    On the same subject,I'll share a story. While working close to the arctic circle building a gold mine(meadowbank) I was put in charge of looking after the remote exploration camp over christmas,they usually shut down in september because of the extreme cold but we tried keeping it going as Nuna construction was building an all weather road from Baker lake to the mine,this road was about 100 kilometers long and Nunas base camp was near the town of Baker lake where all our brand new machinery was being stored to start up the mine.Our new Cat grader broke the first day and so did the new cat d9 so I needed something to keep our ice roads open to camp.We tried getting a few IT's running but they only made it a few miles from base camp when the plastic started breaking at -60 celsius and they were scattered all over the tundra.I finally got Nuna to dig out and get one of the big loaders running and headed into town to pick it up.This is what I saw when I arrived. There is 2 identical loaders in the first picture. It had a couple hours on it.

  44. #44ziggy2010-11-01 12:34

    More.

  45. #45TimHay2010-11-04 08:30

    lol it is going great had a really good summer How about you? Hows the family?

  46. #46Dualie2010-11-06 22:46

    well the fire couldn't have gotten to hot it didnt even melt the snow. :Banghead

  47. #47TimHay2010-11-07 00:53

    :Lol

  48. #48ziggy2010-11-07 22:45

    The funny part was when I pulled in their yard and started climbing on their loader and they came running out yelling no,no,no! That's not your loader. Hell,it was sitting in the same spot as ours the other day,I thought the snow pile was from them doing clean up.