Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

jd 450c vs. tach tl 140

stumpjumper83 ยท 2008-09-10 11:53

I just bought a deere 450c crawler loader with a standard 1.25 yard tooth bucket. What I'm wondering is how it will compare production wise to a tach tl 140 or a simular compact track loader. I know that I have 65-70 hp and that the ctl's have me by 15 hp or so. I also know that I have a couple of ton on the ctl, but what differences are there in actual production?

Replies7
  1. #1Stick Pro2008-09-10 19:18

    There will be a difference especially if you are in hard ground we have a 287 and a 935c when we need to do demolition or there is a hard swimming pool the crawler loader is the only way to go the compact track loader is good for fine gradeing but if u have alot of dirt to move go for the crawler loader

  2. #2stumpjumper832008-09-11 21:27

    Any Idea on what type of hourly rate a skilled operator and my track loader should bring? My main use for it is clean up around the farm, but I'd like to know before someone asks.

  3. #3CM19952008-09-12 08:25

    First of all, I think the TL150 is a better comparision to the 450C than the 140. I demo'd both the 150 and 140 and the 150 was a far better powered and balanced machine my $.02. It just depends on the job at hand. Backfilling behind curbs, CTL will win hands down. Small demo project, I wouldn't put those expensive rubber tracks anywhere close to it. Ripping out concrete, 450C. I am not saying the 450 is only good for demo either, hard clay, rock, clearing and grubbing,e tc is more the domain of the 450. Soft soils, tight spots and fine grading is the domain of the CTL. Find out what the 953 size machines are getting in your area and adjust accordingly. For example around these parts I can get $115-120/hr for a 953C (not much but I know O/O that are still charging $95/hr) and $95/hr for a D5G. I can get $60-65/hour for a T250, which is more profitable per hour than the 953. I would say around here you could get $95-100 per hour for a 450C. And before we get all the "We get a billion dollars an hour up here for a D5G comments", the above numbers are relative to my specific location. We have a lower cost of living down south, our winters - well we don't have winter and you can buy a brand new 1500SF home for $140K. I posted those average hourly charges as an example, it may be more or less in your area but the differences, percentage wise, is a good rule to go by for the size machine you have. :usa

  4. #4honest outlaw2008-09-19 21:59

    upstate sc 953 = $125 per hour and not a dime less. some o/o get more for a newer machine 135 -150. I personally get $75 per hour for a 190 new holland skid steer and $75 per hour for a triaxle. :usa:drinkup:cool2:notworthy I try to be competitive, but with fuel prices being what they are you have to be careful not to work to cheap otherwise you may wind up working just for the practice time ointhead:Banghead after 25 + years of this wonderful business I think I've had enough practice to get my journeymans card:cool2

  5. #5stumpjumper832009-03-25 20:53

    Well the one thing that I have going for me is that my machine cost me alot less than your 953c cost you. For instance I have about $5,500 in my 450c so far. What is your payment again for that new 953d? Basically I can work my machine for $75 an hour, and do 3/4's of the work that you do with a 953, and you charge 2x what i do to cover your operating expenses... and after all is said and done, I have more in my pocket. Now that being said my 450c isnt going to last forever and at some point i'm going to want a cab. So I'm going to have to get a newer and more expensive machine at some point, but for now a 450c w/ backhoe and winch are going to do the job. Now since I don't have a dumptruck and trailer, I'm not going to push the work for hire envelope. I'm going to use it for some food plot clearing, removal of boulders from the pasture, a barn demo, exploring for flagstone, and general farm cleanup. And if someone asks, I'll clear a lot, dig a basement, skid some logs, demo some structures... we will see.

  6. #6CM19952009-03-26 18:58

    Just wondering who in this thread has a 953D?:beatsme

  7. #7stumpjumper832009-03-27 06:34

    my fictitious competition runs them... or maybe they have 953c's, anyhow you get my point.