Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pics of my jd 450c

stumpjumper83 ยท 2008-09-12 18:41

Here are some pics of my most recent purchase. I'm not an expert but the tracks look nice, the machine doesn't apear too banged up, bucket teeth look good... Only problem is that the motor is tight. The old owner left her sit with a blown head gasket outside and she locked up. Hopefully I'll have her ready to clean up some fence rows, load some flagstone scrap I need for a road bed, and a couple other projects around the farm. Maybe tip a couple of stumps out...

Replies23
  1. #1Burnout2008-09-13 18:01

    Mmmmmmm sexy. Put a nice seat on er and ship er up to me, I will trade you a 973C for that sexy little beast.

  2. #2stumpjumper832008-09-13 20:06

    burnout, lets see some pics, I might take you up on that.... btw I just bought a backhoe for it from another source....

  3. #3Burnout2008-09-14 12:52

    Here she is..... http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/Burnout8506/Sureway 2008/DSC02242Small.jpg

  4. #4stumpjumper832008-09-14 17:31

    Have your people get with my people. I think we have a deal. I'll even fill the tank up before I drop it off.

  5. #5Burnout2008-09-14 20:37

    Sorry no deal now..... I was at the shop today. We have an old 450 sitting out back in the boneyard... think I might just take that one instead. I will trade you a 710D tractor backhoe for it.... I imagine it would push more anyways.

  6. #6stumpjumper832008-09-14 21:32

    Well burnout, I have an old dump / burnpile to clean up, an old wooden silo, and several old farm buildings & a house to demo, as well as some grading to do. After I get all that done, we will see... Rubber tires would last long for most of what I have to get done. And I bet your right about pushing capacity, those 710's are big machines, if it was cab and 4x4 it might be a good snow pusher.

  7. #7stumpjumper832008-11-22 23:19

    Well, just got the official word. It looks like the block has developed a crack at some point... uh, oh.... anybody have a 4.239t short block in their garage?

  8. #8swampdog2008-11-23 00:48

    Hey Burnout, are you serious about selling that 973? Or the 966 sitting beside it? If so, drop me a line with the details. I'm looking for a loader in western Canada.

  9. #9Palmer782008-11-23 22:07

    I love those old JD track loaders. My dad has an old staight 450 with the taller loader masts that you have to stick your head out to see around them. He uses it to clear out his property and cut roads and whatever else around the property. He has cleared well over 50 acres of manzanita, madrone, pine, scrub oak, eucalyptus and a bunch of other crap that's so thick you have to get on your hands and knees to crawl through. Those JD engines are great. Sometimes he lets it sit for 3 months and I swear that engine doesn't even turn over 1 time before it fires up. It's a good ol' workhorse.

  10. #10surfer-joe2008-11-23 22:32

    Take out 239 Deere engines used to be a dime a dozen, don't know if they still are. Just about any 239 will work, most of the blocks and cranks are all the same. Then it's just a matter of swapping small components.

  11. #11Greg2008-11-26 20:28

    Got a 450C here. HATE THE DAMN THING WITH A PASSION. Hydraulics are like an F-16 fighter. Run it two hours, work on the hydraulics 6 hours. Oh ya, the worst machine to work on I have ever seen. So Burnout, I will take your deal for the 973.

  12. #12dirt digger2008-11-26 20:56

    Stump you going to that big Wolgamueth sale in Leola on Friday/Saturday?

  13. #13stumpjumper832008-12-04 13:10

    Yup, I was there friday... So does anyone have a 219t block casting number r55011 in their garage that they would like to sell, I have a two piece version that separated at the cylinder webs....

  14. #14stumpjumper832008-12-14 22:12

    Found a large bore, late serial number block locally. He has magnifluxed the block, and is checking the line bore, and decking the top if necessary. He also stocks overhaul kits for the 219t. So I'm getting a major overhaul kit and a block for $1,050.00 So, I'm pleased and will post pics as soon as I can of the cracked block and of the new stuff.

  15. #15special tool2008-12-21 07:06

    Of all the machines I own, big and small, my 450B (65 HP engine) is my favorite. No BS. It is AMAZING what that little sucker can do. I swear I have pushed more than the weight of the machine with it. Don't give up.

  16. #16Greg2008-12-21 13:06

    Your 450 B must be a different breed of cat compared to my 450C. Only got 3900 hours on it, but the hydraulics are a mess. Push? My D3 Cat will run rings and rings and rings around it. The only reason that it is still here is once in a great while it fills the bill. Oh, ya I can't get anything for it either.

  17. #17special tool2008-12-21 15:35

    Don't what to say. Sounds like that one suffered the hand of someone who shoulda put the tools down and stepped away from the machine - sometime during its life. What type and weight hydraulic oil do you run in it? Also - did you do anyting about the sealing washers at the injection pump banjos?

  18. #18Palmer782008-12-21 16:33

    What's wrong with your hydraulics? When my dad first bought his 450 track loader the hydraulics hardly worked and it could barely pick the bucket off the ground. When he got it home he just cleaned out the hydraulic filter (I think it was a screen but that was a long time ago) and the thing worked great. That machine does some amazing things for its size whether pushing over 12"+ trees, digging out boulders, or just pushing dirt which it doesn't even break a sweat doing. This is the old 450 with 57 HP and a lot less TQ than the B/C models too.

  19. #19JimInOz2008-12-22 00:42

    Jd 450 Sorry to cut in here....I'm looking for the track chain specs for a JD450 Dozer. I need pitch & bush size.If anyone can help,please PM me. I'm trying to work out if a chain from a Cat,Case,IH,etc might interchange. Local track guys aren't too helpful,as usual. Thanks Jim

  20. #20special tool2009-01-04 09:50

    Which model 450 is it?

  21. #21Greg2009-01-04 11:36

    I think there must be different track specs available. When I split the tracks to fix a leak between the final drive and steering clutch housing had to get three different pins before I got a new one that would fit. Just another fine featrue on this 450C. No gasket is used between the final drive housing and the steering clutch housing. So you got to goop the s--- out of it with silicon to seal it. It is also an SOB of a job to pull the final drive on this thing also. I have had mechanics from the deere dealer service departments say this set up sucks too. As for hydraulic oil, I have used John Deere "Hygard" and am now using the same standard oil in everything I own. The Cat equipment, lowboy tractor wet kit and dump trucks. Oh ya, even replaced the hydraulic pump in this little beast. Like I said before. Leak after leak after leak after leak in the return system. I HATE THIS THING TO H--- AND GONE. Won't be buying any other deere stuff even though the local dealer who handles th skidsteers and mini excavators is a good friend.

  22. #22Greg2009-01-04 11:39

    Have not touched the sealing washers on the injector pump, have not needed to as I recall. When ever I pull an injector pump on anything, or disconnect a line with sealing washers new ones go in.

  23. #23stumpjumper832009-06-11 06:28

    *UPDATE* She runs, a new block, oil pump, injectiors, full overhaul, head re-done, engine trued up and 8 months later and she is finally back to work. I landed a job finishing / fixing a pad for a farmer to put in a talipia greenhouse. Today will be a short day to get it finished up, it feels good to turn almost scrap metal back into a useable machine... I'll start a new thread soon with more pics.