Lost 1st Gear had fri night when i shut it off started it sat morning it was nt their in forward or back had been slow coming in took 2 to 3 seconds to grab i am wondering if it could be in vavle body all other gears work as they should
hello friend, just went threw similar issue with a 650g has torque convertor an foot steer, 450 550 650 are all similar some what, the first gear in the one I was working on was getting slower an slower bout going into first gear, but once it took gear it would push all day long, first off I went to the trains. hyd cve ontrol valve behind the seat of tractor. remove recover behind seat an ya should see the big valve there on top of rear end, theres test plugs on the valve, one for each gear an one for lube an one for forward an one for reverse too, remove the plug for the first gear test plug an tie a gauge into that hole, should see around 250 psi, while driving the tractor. I removed the suction screen outta front bottom of trains caseing an it was clean, but I put my hand down inthere an found big peaces of snap rings that were broken off outta clutch baskets. so I removed tranny an replaced all clutch basket snap rings, found out that there were other baskets with broken snap rings, so I replaced all snap rings an while I was there I went ahead an replaced ann piston seals an blocking rings, since clutch discs looked good I went back withem, put all back together an tried it all out, found out that first gear still wasn't responding at all now, so I did the pressure checks again an they were still good, so I went to the valve body were we were testing the clutch pressure an on the end of the valve closest to the rear of the tractor theres a big 1 1/2 hex head plug there, remove it from there an theres a modulateing spool inside there, pull it out an there should be 2 springs in there, a big one an a smaller one inside of the big one, an then theres a small modulateing spool up deeper in the valve, look the springs over really good, my big spring was broke in 3 differ places an the smaller spring was bent up inside of all of the broken parts. now why the broke springs didn't effect all 4 gears im not sure but it sure took first gear out, replaced springs an cleaned it all up an replaced back into valve an I got my first gear back.
ok thanks i will look at that and when i went to pick it up today 1st gear worked grate
wow works today, not tomorrow, maybe the next day it will, hopefully ur mogulateing valve was just stuck, if does it again take valve out an look at springs, if there good then get some super fine sand paper an polish up both halves of the valves, one on outside that's got a big hole inside an then theres another one up inside the valve block may need to find some really good flat nose pliers that expand out ward when ya squeeze them to get that one out. or hopefully it want act up again. good luck