Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 450H LT ground speed problem

Arrowheadwest ยท 2014-12-20 19:16

My 1999 JD 450H LT starts immediately and the ground speed is normal for 2-3 minutes, but then it slows to about 1/4 MPH no matter where the engine speed or transmission speed levers are positioned. The engine sounds the same after the ground speed drop-off. The transmission control unit reads "RUN". Any suggestions for the speed change?

Replies5
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2014-12-20 21:15

    I would suggest following the wire loom and looking for a place that may have rubbed and is causing a short that may cause the trans controller to think the slow speed is being requested. Most problems in these seem to come down to wiring issues, in my experience.

  2. #2Arrowheadwest2014-12-21 00:05

    Thanks Jerry, I just hope it doesn't end up being the controller itself since it cost over $3k.

  3. #3I AM IRONMAN2015-03-13 01:53

    Did you find the cause of the problem? I might have something similar. The speed is stuck on 1.9 and will not go up or down.

  4. #4Arrowheadwest2015-03-13 13:04

    Although I could not feel or hear any problem with the engine's performance, it was a very low fuel pressure. Pressure should have been 4lbs but was just barely moving the needle on a fuel pressure gauge attached to the line. I replaced both fuel filters and the problem was resolved.

  5. #5jlittle22122015-03-19 22:19

    Was going to be my first suggestion! Glad it's lined out!