Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 455E Opinions

Lakeview ยท 2010-06-30 19:23

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie here, as I just came upon this forum. Looks like a great place to be with a lot of info. I need some opinions on a piece I am going to look at to purchase. Its a JD 455E crawler loader with a 4 in 1 bucket. Am told it is about 50% undercarriage. I am just going to use it around the farm. It is about 200 miles away and haven't had a chance to go physically look at it. I have seen pictures. I am told it has a noise in the top end, possibly the valve train, that is not very loud. It was supposedly running fine. They shut it off and haven't been using it. I am here for ideas on what it might be, and to look/listen for when I get to it. Also, what else should I be aware of on a well used machine of this model? And how does the price sound? $3500. It will cost me about $800 to get it home. Thanks in advance for the advice. :usa

Replies3
  1. #1Pecord Exc2010-06-30 20:21

    $3500 is giving it away, i would take the time to check what you are buying

  2. #2JoeinTX2010-07-01 03:47

    Agree x 10. Gauge by this eBay listing: http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGdC3dR...om/JOHN-DEERE-455E-W-4-1-BUCKET-/270597760420 In all-over good shape he's asking 3-4 times that price. The current owner is worried about a problem, small now but which could be big soon, and wants to unload it. Fair enough. If you aren't experienced around diesels and/or equipment then I'd find someone who is to go with you and look at it, run it, listen to it, and get a better idea of the "problem" they are alluding to in trying to sell it. Could be minor in which case you get a steal plus a small repair bill to go with it. Could be high-priced scrap for which you'll pay a major repair bill to the local shop to get it back in regular working shape for you. Just another $.02's worth.....

  3. #3Lakeview2010-07-01 08:38

    Thanks. Yes, I thought it is cheap even in rough shape. I served 12 years in the diesel business, Cummins, Detroit Diesel, and Peterbilt trucks in parts and service roles, so I've got a little background. Even worked for a JD equipment dealer in the late seventies, but don't remember much of that except everything sure was heavy. Listening to a running engine and saying it is a certain thing is just a guess. I am looking for the input to make my best guess, especially when you've never seen under the valve cover of a certain engine. I saw the machine on ebay, he's had lookers but no bids. Is it because he's too high? I always say you can a million dollars for something, its just finding the person to give it is the hard part. Thanks for the input...