Alright, lets see what everyone says about this one. Started running my loader at about 6 30 am. seemed like the batteries were weak, but it did crank. After lunch i go back and when i crank it, starter turns over, slow and weak, but wont cut off (even when i turned the key off). finally i pushed start again and it stopped. Now it will not turn over at all. Batteries are good as i took them out and used them to start my dads back hoe. any thoughts? 1984 cat 953
Start off cleaning all your ground connections. Sounds like a poor circuit is not passing full voltage to starter. Clean all the posts and cables for batteries as well. Taking everything apart and cleaning it up solves a lot of troubles.
Matthew You also need to check the starters solonoid some times they will not pull in all the way and hang up, then the switch will not cause the solonoid to retract so check the solonoid
How do you push start a Hydro. machine????
I fully agree. This is probably a resistance problem. Your bad connection may be between the batteries and the solenoid because low voltage to the solenoid will definitely cause the starter to not stop turning. Sometimes you have to jump off and pull off a battery cable. If you let the starter drag it will burn it up quickly. I would clean all the connections and if the problem persists check the resistance of the cables, then pull the starter and have it checked by an automotive electrical shop.
The short answer is "you don't". Many true hydrostatic machines, as opposed to hydraulic drive, or torque converter drive, will be seriously damaged if pushed with the engine off.
One more thought; charge your batteries and have them tested, they may be capable of starting the backhoe but not the larger machine. Also if your alternator isn't charging they could have recovered enough to start the smaller machine then been charged by it. These are long shots; I'd check connections first.
I should have been more clear, what i was saying is that I pushed the start button, not the cat. That would be something to see wouldnt it.
I am going over this weekend to work on it, Thank you for everyones help
Fix was new solenoid.... 40 bucks and charging two weak batteries. Thanks everyone for your help
I found this forum via google search for a problem I'm having one of our machines. Since I'm a probationary member, I was looking for threads to post in so that I could post my own thread. However, I'd bet those browsing this thread could give me a quick answer without my having to clog up the boards any further... I have a '00 Cat 963C which has been having intermitent problems starting over the past few months. I've checked the starting switch, and found that I'm getting proper voltage from the batteries, and subsequently to the starter/solenoid when the key is turned. I'm assuming now that it's either the solenoid, or the starter has gone bad. When I turn the keys I get a single loud clunk, but no sounds of trying to turn over. When the tractor does start it fires to life and runs very well. I tried pulling the starter and solenoid today, but I can't get a socket onto the 11mm cap screws on the flange (3 of them on the left, right, and bottom of the flange). Any ideas what might be the best way to get these cap screws off? I'm pretty sure they're just 12-point 11mm cap screws, but maybe I'm missing something...
Meant to include an image in that last post: LINK TO PICTURE OF STARTER
Use a regular 12 point socket easy fix
I gave it a shot with a 12pt socket, but the only thing I can fit behind it is a 1/4" drive universal joint and extension. I'm having trouble getting a good enough bite with this setup to break the cap screws loose. Would you use an air ratchet, or??? I'm a little frustrated that I can see and get my hands onto the bolt, but can't get a "big enough hammer" in there to enforce my will onto it...
A GOOD 12 point box end wrench and a BFH (a hammer). I've taken a box end and cut it down to a couple inches long and used a drift on the end with the BFH. Don't use a cheap wrench, you want something with good teeth that wont round off the bolt.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' im not sure about a 963, but on my 953, i had to hook up like 4 long extensions and turn my socket driver from way back behind the starter. I also removed the air filtration to make my job easier. I am far from a mechanic, but thats what worked for me. You can take the whole unit, starter and solenoid out, and a shop will be happy to test it for you. Use a 12 point, loosen all 3, and take the bottom one out first its kinda a bitch to get out, but once the 3 bolts are out, kinda twist while pulling good luck
I would suspect either low voltage from a poor ground or a malfunctioning solenoid.
Thanks! In fact, it was the solenoid. Tractor runs like a top since having it rebuilt...