Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 455G

Range Rover ยท 2022-06-10 15:54

New owner of a 1988 JD 455G crawler loader here. While I am waiting for operator manual reprints, quick dumb question. Does the ignition have an "accessory" position? The unit was delivered Tuesday, and ran fine. as a note, real easy to operate, now I have to put hours in to get good. Went to start it today and nothing. checked and 4.5v at the batteries. while I have the charger going now, I was figuring I turned the switch to the left too far and activated an "accessory" situation and drained the batteries? no labels on the control panel. I am figuring the black button in the middle is the Ether start aid? the switch seems to have 3 detent positions and a "hold position" (starter). sound right? Thanks for educating the new guy!

Replies3
  1. #1Welder Dave2022-06-10 23:32

    You might have a master electrical disconnect switch as well until you can figure out why the batteries are draining. A volt meter or test light is probably your best friend.

  2. #2mg23612022-06-11 06:00

    Welcome to HEF Range Rover ! Key switch positions on that unit are from left to right, Acc, Off, Run and Start.

  3. #3Range Rover2022-06-11 07:27

    Thanks, no master disconnect, I did have the switch in the acc position (DOH!). So, overnight with the charger, and we are ready to move dirt!! There is a bolt on cutting edge welded to the bucket and it is offset (proud of the bucket) to prevent teeth from being installed. I was intending to take the grinder/torch to get the cutting edge off so I can install teeth. Our soil is pretty rocky so the teeth are helpful. Thoughts? Thanks again.