I have removed the differential in a JD 4650 which after the pins came loose, it chewed itself apart inside. It was locking up in turns and I was anticipating only having to replace the diff housing but found one of the ring gear teeth had a decent chip out of it on the inner end. The tractor is in active service and I don't want to put the damaged ring back in, BUT, I am not prepared to replace the pinion also as it means removing and stripping out the rear end. I know they come as matched sets, but is there any chance of successfully only replacing the ring gear? I intend to install good used parts if I can get them.
Hi there, it aint common practice but I have done this a fair few times in D8 & 9 H's and got away with it. It can be hit and miss, but if you aint prepared to change the pinion anyway it sounds like you are going to take the chance. Just make sure the backlash and preload are pretty close to being correct, and keep an eye on your oil and a close ear on her when you send it back to work
or flog it
After further inspection in better light, I have found that the pinion shaft will have to be replaced. So much for not being prepared for it. If I have to go by I&T manual instructions, I am in for a huge undertaking as after axles are already off, cab now has to be removed and then start from the engine and work back. Will have a 175 HP tractor scattered in 8-10 chunks all over shop and lot. 100hp and smaller is no problem for me, but this will be a test.