has anyone installed this conversion, & was it successfull?
After listing the above I was able to download instructions for installing the hydraulic pump conversion kit on my JD490E serial# under 25000. I ordered the kit off Ebay for 549.00. The downloaded instructions were not the best but after a dozen reads, I figured it out. When the kit arrived there were no English instructions as advertised. A T fitting that allowes 2 hoses to be hooked to the same port was missing, I made one by drilling the right angled fitting through & brazing a fitting for the hose on top of the angle. The conversion worked great first try. The thing we can't figure out is why we can't. put as much hydraulic oil back in the machine as we took out. We operated it for a 1/2 hour, as the fluid heated the excess came out the overflow & the witness glass is at the top. Any theories out there?
Generally, with the oil at operating temperature, the stick is run all the way out, bucket opened to full dump and the boom lowered so everything is on the ground. That puts the oil to the highest level it can go in the tank. There is usually a decal close to the sight glass.
I have always parked my excavator like that when the computer was operating & the fluid would be in the middle of the site glass. However, after I installed the hydraulic conversion, the tank would only take about 17 gals of the 25 we took out. I thought the system needed to purge the air out, so I ran it for a short time, no difference, so I worked it for a half hour, no difference. When I put everything on "the ground" the tank is full to the top????? Mystery to me
No need to bold type. I was just checking that you knew that parking placement can change the level in the glass. Did you take out anything when doing the conversion? Is the fluid running warmer?
Your cooler and it’s piping may be empty if your conversion messed up the warm up circuit,just a thought.
Thanks for the input sorry about the bold type I must have forgotten to take the capital type off. Old age! Your input about the oil cooler is something I didn't think about, the cooler may have an air lock or whatever, I will keep a close eye on it. The only other thing we did was to install a new suction filter. The conversion is based on the hydraulic pumps & only has one hose leaves the main pump & goes to the spool block. No factory hoses were removed. The heat gauge runs off the engine, there is no gauge for the hydraulic fluid temperature. My old JD450B that I have had from almost new has a hydraulic temp gauge. I will let you know as I work it more. Offhand where does the radiator return hose exit from?
Could you share the instructions
Hi Gary, I downloaded the instructions & would be happy to share them with you. I solved the overfill mystery, the kid helping me put an extra 5 gal in without telling me. The one thing I found is that the functions do not have quite the power as before. I added more shims, with no difference noticed. other than that & having to make the T fitting the conversion has worked great
Could u send them to [email protected] thanks
So I have a 490e and I am considering this kit. Are you still happy with it?
Hello there, I'm installing this kit but it didn't come with instructions. would someone be able to share them with me. thanks Brian
I got this kit installed without instructions from the seller. I've been adding and removing shims but it doesn't change. The machine is loading up and will stall. Any help is appreciated.
I'd also like the instructions if you still have them.
This is what I have for the Hitachi ex120-3. From what I gather it is pretty much the same as the Deere. After I installed the conversion mine seems to want to stall and has very slow functions. I only have the slowest speed while tracking. Pump was just rebuilt and tested but with electronics on it.
Thank you
Where did you find the instructions
hello. for those that have installed this kit. does anyone have the upper and lower stopper plates they took off. willing to pay for them thanks in advanced.