Cat 311B s/n 08GR00401. I have noticed something with the engine oil level warning light. When I start the machine in a level position the engine oil level light illuminates for the self-test and then turns off (engine oil level is checked on the dipstick at the start of each day and is within the normal range). However, if I start the machine on a grade the engine oil level light comes on and stays on until the next ignition cycle, even if the machine returns to level while I am working. Is this the normal function for this light or should it turn off once the machine is level (even if it is running)? Thanks in advance!
That's normal. Once activated the low oil level warning "latches" in the Monitor System and you have to do a key OFF/ON in order to reset it, plus of course the oil has to be above the LOW level. To avoid this nuisance warning I'd suggest to always park the machine on level ground when you shut it down. Depending on which side of the oil pan the dipstick is located and the direction the excavator is facing when parked even a slight down angle can give you a wildly inaccurate picture of the engine oil level. We had plenty of "smart" operators who would park up at night on a slope and call in first thing next morning with "low oil level" meaning they got a rest until the lube truck showed up.
Thanks Nige, much appreciated! I’m planning out my off-season maintenance and wanted to address this issue (if there was one) when I had the engine oil drained. I’ll check this one off the list.