Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 500-A Not Starting

michaelsmithplumber ยท 2024-08-21 18:02

Hi (TIA), I have a 1976 John Deere 500-A series with a starting issue. This back hoe was starting fine until presently (I should mention I did change the battery recently from a 12v to a new 12v with a lower profile...it started right up after swapping the batteries but started only a few times since the swap). When I turn the key I hear a small "click" (battery is fully charged) and the dash lights go on but no crank. I've put a screw driver on the starter relay and it will crank then....but still not start. Any ideas? TIA!

Replies10
  1. #1Diesel Dave2024-08-22 08:13

    Welcome to HEF Michael . Poor wire connection(s) at the key switch or poor wire condition in general. Does it have a main circuit breaker ?, jump it temporarily as a test.

  2. #2Vetech632024-08-22 10:19

    Check the neutral start switch too

  3. #3colson042024-08-22 12:18

    If I remember right, the neutral safety switch wire is near the battery, and can be knocked off or loose when changing the battery. I'm pretty sure I did that some years back when I changed out batteries and then the machine wouldn't start. Edit - this is on my 310A model. The battery sits under the floor on the left side of the transmission, near where the neutral safety switch is.

  4. #4michaelsmithplumber2024-08-22 17:41

    Thanks for the reply, DD! I just checked the manual and it does have a fuseable link and/or a "MDL 25 amp" fuse to the starter. I'll check this out this weekend, Thanks for the help, Dave!

  5. #5michaelsmithplumber2024-08-22 17:54

    Thanks Vetech!

  6. #6michaelsmithplumber2024-08-22 17:55

    Thank you, Colson! I can see it on the schematic but finding it on the machine will be a different job all together....lol. TY!

  7. #7michaelsmithplumber2024-09-03 17:32

    Hi all (TIA)! I traced the wiring on this back hoe and I "think" this is the "starter safety switch" (at least according to what I could find on-line. I think this is where I'm receiving an audible "click" when I turn the key over. I used as teste on the poles and it seems to be receiving 12V on the bottom and top poles as well as the bottom and side pole (when the key is on). Just curious if I'm on the right path...if this is the actual switch and how to test, replace or jump this out. Thanks all!

  8. #8Welder Dave2024-09-03 23:12

    That's a solenoid but it could be faulty.

  9. #9michaelsmithplumber2024-09-09 18:16

    Any idea how to test it? (It does click but I don't know what my tester should be on)...tia!

  10. #10Welder Dave2024-09-09 19:45

    Should be able to see if it has volts on the opposite stud when he has power to it.