Hi everyone Was thinking of replacing the old gearshift boot can’t figure out how the new on goes over the shifter knob Open the knob up hoping to unplug the disconnect button and slide the knob off and slip the new boot on but the disconnect button is solder on the wiring don’t really want to cut the wires so maybe I’m missing a simple trick I read on here about heating and sliding over the knob but don’t think the one he had was factory mine is 7/16 thick rubber looks like would be a painful birth trying to push that little hole over that big knob any ideas thanks
Take the nut off the switch. The handle itself is either screwed on or there is another screw in the handle. I don’t have the manual in front of me later but can look later.
Thanks cosmaar I did remove the nut but the switch has a washer built into it that sits against the knob from the outside I was hoping to pull it in and the knob is attached by a Allen screw everything moves to come off but the switch is the problem
The switch pops to the inside of the handle. On my 555e it slides into a small housing. It looks like yours might do the same.
Ok I’ll have to have another look but looked like the part that I took to nut off had a solid washer behind the red button that buts to the knob from the outside then the nut inside would tighten it on
Took the nut off goes out but can’t see how it can go inside the knob to remove the knob
I replaced mine but I can't for the life of me remember how I got around the shifter. Seems like it all disconnected at the bottom of the shifter. I tired of fighting with the floor mat and cut a section out so I just slipped it back into place after the boot was installed.
Finally had time to look. You are missing the dowel that goes into the knob.
Ok makes sense now the wires can be unplugged down on top of the transmission then the knob and the wires are pulled up through then boot can slide over
Yes 575e 4x4 wasn’t working when I got the machine and probably hadn’t for past 15 years read your great post about the solenoid was exactly what was needed hardest part of the job was access to the easy access panel I cut my mat from the pedal towards the seat and over towards the brake pedals so can lift the square section then have easy access now
If it was me, I would mark the wires and buy a cheap solder gun and melt the wires off. I wouldn’t mess around with taking it off underneath. The connection in my loader handle came off and I literally just bent the wire in the button connector as it had a hole in it. Been like that for a month and no issues. All it does is act like a cutout for voltage.
Thanks cosmaar I even like your idea better
Pretty sure I didn't have to go under the tractor to unplug the wires. Pull the old boot out and see what you find.
I did remove the old boot I the first post what I see is bunch wire zip tied to the shifter and boot on top of the transmission think cosmaar idea is best even if can find the plugs to pull them apart after 25 years and don’t have octopus arms to get in there to pull apart