I have an old John Deere 500cd backhoe. Trying to figure out which are the right rebuild kits for the stabilizer cylinders. The John Deere parts catalog online lists a rebuild kit for serial No -218290. I find two serial number tags on my machine. The one on the frame to the left of the engine is 200835T, and the one behind the right rear wheel is 020074T. I assume that the listed part # RE18754 for the Serial No -218290 should be the right seal kit? Anyone have any further info on the serial numbers on my machine? Thanks.
One way to know for sure is to take apart what you have, then figure out what the difference is between the two cylinders and order the appropriate one. Hopefully that agrees with the serial number or else you're more confused than when you started.
Only thing I could find on VINs for that model is HERE. On page 6 it reads: VIN# Location: On older models plate is attached on outside of frame behind either left or right front wheel. On newer models VIN plate is attached just above left (Highway) side cylinder arm. Same location as Caterpillar.
The one at the rear may be the serial number for the backhoe unit, even though the machine comes all together?
I think I have it figured out, and have ordered some rebuild kits. I guess I'll find out soon enough if they are the right ones. Thanks.