Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 50C zts (rubber) track tensioner

Canuck Digger ยท 2013-12-09 20:39

Hello, So I'm doing my winter maintenance now that I got some time. Noticed the tracks on the 50 have close to 2 1/2" of sag. Tried to pump them with grease while machine off the ground, and neither side would accept grease. tried to back out the zircs via wrench and they just keep on spinning inside the nut. (both sides) so I backed the nuts out (with the zirc attached) expecting a pile of grease to come out. Not so much.......... Pumped the zircs with grease, no problems. Put the nut/zirc back in, neither side will accept grease again. Questions are as follows: is the zirc supposed to spin inside the nut and not back out? If so wondering why? Why would the zirc accept grease when out of the assembly, but not when it's back in? Do I need a new nut/zirc? Feel pretty silly asking this question, but never came across something like this. Usually if she don't want grease, back out zirc, clean out any hardened grease, new or old zirc back in and all is well. Thanks.

Replies6
  1. #1jack3452013-12-09 23:11

    My manual states when adjusting tracks lift the side that needs adjusting with bucket. Mine you just pump with grease gun and can see track move. To loosen / remove track I remove zerk ( and lot of grease comes out) . The manual also states there should be about 1/2" between track and lower roller when adjusted proper. That info is for Kubota so its best to check with manual/dealer for JD specs . Not sure why zircs not taking grease unless its the cold weather?

  2. #2ANDREW C2013-12-28 23:25

    The grease nipple is meant to spin. On the larger hoes those valves fill up with hard grease and are changed quite often, I squeeze the grease from the tensioner with the bucket and change it when I do it. The cold weather does affect the grease too. You also need a good grease gun like a lever style

  3. #3Canuck Digger2013-12-30 00:38

    Hi Andrew. Thank you for your help. If I understand you correctly, you would take the valve with the fitting off, push the "old" grease out with the bucket, purchase a new valve with grease fitting for both sides, and re-pump with new grease. I do have good grease guns. Thanks again.

  4. #4ANDREW C2013-12-30 01:15

    That's right. Try and do it when the grease will be warmer it will be easier.

  5. #5Canuck Digger2014-01-08 22:00

    Well, $160 CAN for a pair of new tensioner valves with grease fittings, one for either side and tracks are as tight as should be. The valves/fittings looked to be in good shape, but obviously were not.

  6. #6ANDREW C2014-01-08 23:12

    It happens all the time but never knew how much they cost. A little more costly than I thought!