Any one have any comments or experience with 1994 JD 510 D 2WD , would it be worth looking for a 4WD its a 16K (lb) machine can I get away with 2WD. Not in business want something to clear about an acre of woods and hill, not a wet area gravel type area. May use it for snow removal also. Less than 1k (hrs) on machine.:beatsme
I can't comment on the machine itself but on a machine that new, most will look for a 4 x 4. When it comes time to sell it, it will be hard to move your 2 wheel drive. Phil
I, too, am looking for a backhoe to clear some land, Everyone I've asked advice from has told me to stick with 4wd if I ever plan to sell it. 2wd do seem tempting with the much lower prices as do OROP machines. But I'm also going to use it for snow removal and being nice and warm in a cab is important to me. Spent too much time on my tractor seat freezing while pushing snow.
I have a JD 310C and use it a lot for land clearing. I would not have a 2wd machine. 4wd give a lot more push and prevents getting stuck almost always. Davidd.
I get by with 2wd. Sure I'd like to have a 4wd but I'd like to dive a Ferrari on the weekend too, can't afford either one. I've yet to get stuck, temporarily delayed..... all the time
I have a 1992 JD310d 2wh drive. Cleared about 6 acres of woods, removed hundreds of stumps. On dry or frozen ground you can push huge piles of brush stumps and a tree or 2. I had burn piles 30 ft. wide and 15 ft. tall and then push a 50 ft. tree on top of the pile. As pile burns you can push fire in on itself. Pick your days, if you work when its wet you just make a mess anyway. When I do get stuck you can push yourself out with front bucket or pick machine up with hoe and side shift over to better ground. I paid 13k for very good 2wd with cab, would had to pay 20 to 25k for 4wd with extendahoe and cab. I would like 4wd but from reading here I understand they are expensive to repair also. Good Luck
For your clearing operation you could get by with a 2 wh. dr. but for your snow work,if it's going to be serious, you'd want a 4x4 rig.I've logged thousands of hours on 2 JD backhoes,both 4x4--never had any problems with any of the componentry of the 4x4 system--pretty much bulletproof if you maintain it and operate sensibly.
you want a 4x4. You will be using the loader a lot. A lot of loader work and 2wd sucks. Its hard to get traction when going into gravel piles and such.