Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 510 hydraulic oil problems

JD510 ยท 2011-04-18 11:50

I'm borrowing a 510-D which has a milky hydraulic oil color. The oil was recently drained and replaced, but the color persists. I assume this is water contamination and I was told it's been this color for a long time through multiple oil changes. The day the backhoe arrived at my place, we unscrewed the main drain enough for maybe 1/3 cup of clear water to run out from under the oil. That same day the oil level was 4-5 inches high on the dipstick and I was told that the person replacing the oil must have missed a drain somewhere which resulted in the overfill. The hoe was run with the high oil level and now the oil is about an inch above the high mark. I'm guessing the oil was not fully distributed in the system when it was first found to be so high. Otherwise I'm at a loss for explaining where it went. I've obviously got to change this oil a couple more times to get it cleaner, can someone let me know where the drain plugs are? I know the main one is underneath between the rear wheels, and I see in the parts book there are a couple on the pump. Anywhere else? Are there any common modes of water infiltration on these machines? Other than condensation? So far it sounds to me like rain water is getting in there somehow. Thanks!

Replies0

No replies yet.