Hi, I bought a 580K (high hrs) but can"t find the ser. # tag. and need to order some parts. also if you lift the machine and put it in 2nd gear foreward/rev you can feel the "thud" and the wheels jerk, but when you lower it, no movment??? This is my first case and it's for personal use around my property. I,ve got a ton of info from your posts on this site, so thanks.
Welcome to the forum whatwas. :usa Been a few years since I worked on Case machines, but I think the ID tag was on the machine frame directly below cab floor on left side, where you step up into the cab. I think they also stamped the number on top of the frame rail, with hood raised, on left side, in area of radiator. Phase III was a particular series of 580K, your s/n would help you to know which series your machine is. From what I here, the phase III had a problematic rear axle. The Case guys on the forum would know more about your machine than I.
There really was no phase 1 or 2 , only a 3 .......:beatsme The 580K had a different transaxle fitted to it at JJG 200000 - it incorperated the fwd / rev shuttle & transaxle all in one. Basically, if your 4 speed gearshift lever goes through the dash - it's phase 3. If 4 speed lever goes through the floor you have the early 580K with seperate shuttle. So, where is your shift lever? Either way not having 2nd gear is not a good problem.
Ya, a missing gear is never a good thing, and I'll get more serious about it after I get my shop build. The shifter is through the dash, she's no pagent winner but with some help I hope to fix (or have fixed) one thing at a time. Thanks for the welcome ATCOEQUIP, my wife's not so happy though, rented a movie and planned a "sit on the couch day" but I spent most of the afternoon reading all the 580K postings.................know lots more about them than I did.
I noticed in another post, your handbrake is not working - it does work seperate to the main axle brakes - usually when they don't work they are out of lining & that's also not a good thing on a phase 3. Check to make sure cable is OK, & you can adjust the brake by an adjuster at the very end of the cable where it enters the transmission housing - that's if linings are OK. There is a suction screen behind the large 90deg elbow at the lower LH front of trans - good idea to drain the oil & check that screen for clues to your problems.
I have a 580K trying to reach 3 posts to get injector pump/fuel delivery questions answered. Thanks.
I really can't help with your problem, but I just wanted to say that I have a phase 3 that's 21, and has been with me for 13 years. This machine never lets me down. Also, click this link, and type 580K in, and select ASN JJG0020000. Diagrams, schematics, and part numbers for every part of the machine. Even the frame. https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/webparts/main.php
I have an early model 580K with transmission issues as well. Also using it for personal use to build my house. I have another thread here. I lost first gear and that one is pretty important so I am going to make the repair so I can continue to build my house. I am replacing the sliding gear and 1st and 2nd gear. Got the parts ordered already. While I am at it I am going to rebuild the shuttle also. I'll let you know how it goes. I'll start to pull everything this weekend.
Thanks,teberhard I'd be interested to hear how it goes, I don't think it's something I would tackle. As soon as it dry's up a bit around here (if ever) I'll get more serious. Thanks
Just wanted to update you that I finally finished rebuilding my shuttle and transaxle. Made some mistakes but nothing that couldn't be fixed. Alrman was a big help in figuring things out. All in all it wasn't too bad. Should mention I am not a mechanic but I play one from time to time. Had more trouble with the shuttle then I did the transaxle. And the worst part is the shear weight of the transaxle. But its running great now.
congrats teberhard, like I said I think the repair you did would be over my head..........I replaced the nylon bushing in the shifter mech. and a couple sloppy pins but still either 1st and no second, or vise-versa when I adjusted the linkage ssooooooo I resorted back to the "growing up on the farm" years and drilled a new hole in the shifter arm on the side of the trans. I drilled it closer to the shifter shaft so the same shifter movement would cause the shifter arm to move farther (hard to explain) but anyway I now have both 1st and 2nd and am 'givin er hell' around here. The help and support I've got from the folks on this site has been great (my posts and reading others) so a overdue thanks everyone. I'm going to tackle the front main seal next, something I might tackle alone without the support from the guys on this forum.
oil in torque converter housing hi i'm new to this site so hello to eveyone. i bought a case 580k which has 9000 hrs on it. i started doing some much needed maintenance. changed trans/hydraulic cooler in front,replaced all seals on 4 hydraulic cylinders. i took out bottom drain plug on torque converter housing and quite a bit of oil came out. i don't think there is supposed to be oil in the housing. do anyone know what might be leaking. not sure what phase this is but the 4 way gear stick is on the right of my seat going down through floor and forward/reverse lever is on steering wheel column. any help would be appreciated thanks in advance
Sounds like its a phase 1 if the gear shift goes through the floor. I have the same model and just did a full rebuild on the drive line. Shuttle and transaxle. Was it engine oil or shuttle?
well i guess its not through the floor, its through a console on the right of my seat, with other controls on it. like wipers lights ,etc. the oil looks pretty black. maybe its from the rear engine seal. i only had this backhoe a short while, but finding lots of things wrong. i am not home right now , so my wife is going to send me the serial number tomorrow. do u know what could be leaking in there besides rear engine seal. thanks