Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jd 544a

dirtyboy ยท 2008-03-06 19:21

I just purchased a 544A loader to fix up and use around the property. The owners manual stated to use C-2 fluid in the trans. I am going to drain all fluids from the machine and change all filters. any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Cotterpin2008-03-08 10:05

    Dirtyboy , My employer just sold a 544A that was used to load in our rockyard. For what it's worth , we used Dextron II in the trans . Never had any trans issues in the 12 yrs we used it , and it was used all the time . I'd check with my local oil distributor for specifics .

  2. #2dirtyboy2008-03-08 18:08

    Thanks, that is what I was thinking of using.

  3. #3tuney4432008-03-08 19:04

    Why don't you call your local Deere dealer and ask? Sometimes,especially since that rig is so old,better stuff gets recommended as time goes by.Couldn't hurt to ask.

  4. #4petersfamilytru2008-03-15 22:00

    Be Careful I own a 644B and had a lot of trouble with the rear differential seals. Turns out, that machine doesn't run gear oil in the differential... It uses a much thinner oil (ThX1000) I believe. After I started running the proper oil, the seals worked great! Just food for thought since the 544A and the 644B are close in age.

  5. #5turfguy872011-10-02 19:15

    Hey dirtyboy, I just bought a 544a that was sitting for a long time. I'm trying to fix mine up as well. Do you know where to find or download any manuals/ electrical schematics?

  6. #6125IIIA2011-10-03 23:14

    Maybe a dumb question but isnt the C-2 the manual calls for around anymore?

  7. #7paulsoccodato2011-10-04 07:01

    john deere wanted like $450 for the service manual for my 544c. i was able to download it for $35 from here http://epc-software.com/ . Good Luck