Somebody replaced the engine in our 1979 544B, the numbers do not match up with the original serial #'s that were given to me by JD, the present serial # starts with ME3TB and ends with 174726T, this a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder set up in our loader, JD reps tell me they have no information on this powerplant, even asked me if it was actually a JD, but it's stamped on a JD plate and riveted to the block.If anybody has ANY information on this engine I would appreciate hearing about it. I understand the loader originally came with turbocharged motor but what happened between 1980 and September 2014 is a mystery to me.:Banghead
Have you seen any casting marks on the engine block some have model cast in block. Also can u upload pics we like pics ( I did ride short bus but only a few times ).
I have witnessed a 544B being repowered with a ? engine out of a 4010 I believe? I think JD also used that 4010 engine in some combines? Just some food for thought........If I'm on the right track, the fuel pump will be towards the rear of the engine on the right side, will be a CAV pump? Also, it will be attached almost vertically if this is what I'm thinking it could be.
Still working on getting pics off the i-phone, the casting numbers are T82345 0, with JD casting to the left of the numbers, so I'm confident that this is definitely a JD engine. The #'s are cast just above the oil filter and to the right of the priming pump.
The fuel pump is on the right side of engine (passenger side, if you will), all the way to the back, but is horizontal, not vertical.
If you can get the fuel pump number off the tag that will help the parts guy. Bob
The injector pump is a Roosa Master, there are a bunch of numbers on the plate, it starts with J and then a 9 or an O, B633AL276, consecutively, and then in another box 2500 on the same line, then 7436549 and then a set containing AR69827, hope there is a number in there that gives your parts guy something of value, thanks a bunch.
Just got pics from the engine
So, I looked up the injector pump model number on the Stanadyne site and this pump was set up for a John Deere 6.303D engine, but I'm not able to verify that, since all I have to go by is an injector pump that could have been swapped over from another engine, might not be the origina on this motorl. The only info I can find about the 6.303D is that everybody is selling rebuild kits for them, but nothing on JD's own website.
OK since I'm sitting in the house with the flu I had a little time to research this. A Deere 544B originally came with a 414 cu. in. engine in it. Looking at the pics you posted there is no doubt that it is a Deere motor. The block casting number that you list, if you change the 8 to a 3 T32345, this comes up as a 329 cu. in. out of a 4030 ag. tractor. It's been a while and the memory aint what it used to be but I believe that these are both from the same engine family so externally they will look very similar if not identical. And as far as I remember they never put a 414 cu.in. in an ag. tractor till much later in the PowerTech models. Hope this helps you a bit.
Mystery solved, JD finally got back to me, motor came out of a 544A Loader, engine designation 6329DW001, 6 cylinder 329 CI naturally aspirated, rated about 40 HP less than the original, but I'll trade that for less wear and tear on the drivetrain, thanks for everybodies help, Steve