Recently purchased JD 544G, dealer said trans was rebuilt in his shop by qualified tech. After about a month of loading trucks with "soft" piled material, using 1st & 2nd gear, the trans would drop out of gear and the loader wouldn't move. Apply parking brake and put shifter in neutral and turn machine off, after a cool down period the trans would return to working status. We used the machine at that job for about a month continuously loading trucks. After the project it was taken to the shop where it was used occassionaly to move items around the yard, nothing heavy duty. Recently it stopped going into 1st and 2nd gear and only goes into 3rd gear. It doesn't not function in the "D" mode. I have checked the fluid and it is full. The rebuilt trans may have 250 hrs on it. Others have suggested changing the filter but I haven't done that yet. Anyone have any ideas where to go with this
MG to the rescue!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to HEF Sotrans. My first question is did the 544 come with any warranty or was it "as is"? If they just rebuilt the trans I would try to get them to pay for it (used machine or not, they admitted to rebuilding it). If not, then my next question is there any codes in the monitor or warning lights of any kind coming on when issue happens? Next check your clutch cutout enable switch. On the right side of the cab there is a row of switches and I believe the clutch cut out is the third from the left. Make sure it is off and see if you still have transmission issues. When you change your transmission filter save it. Cut it open and inspect for debris or metal. Post pictures if there is any. I attached an transmission electrical diagnostic procedures that might help if you have an electrical issue. I am concerned that it works cooled down and you have issues warmed up.
Thanks for your response....the machine was bought as is.....but i've know the dealer for about 20 years and he has always been reputable. I have done quite a bit of hauling for him over the years......I have not noticed any codes or warning lights to indicate any problems...….I toggled the switches and nothing seems to make a difference...…..I think most of them have been "rigged" over the years, so functionality is almost non existant…...I appreciate the diagrams ill run through them as I get time
would I be correct in assuming that the transmission control box is mounted on the forward firewall on the right hand side of the loader under the interior control panel
It is inside the access door on the right side of the cab under your right side window.
Im wondering if perhaps I ought to replace the TCU
I would perform those electrical tests first (try to perform them when the issue is happening) and if all checks out I would check clutch pressures next before I would replace the TCU. They are (depending on your serial number) either $1700 or $2250.
I had a few minutes so I removed the TCU and cleaned the connections with carb cleaner, applied a light coat of lithium grease and reinstalled the TCU I then tried the unit out. Luckily all of the transmission functions returned. So a simple cleaning did the job. Thanks for all of your input.
MG, Would you happen to have a diagram showing solenoid locations on manifold for Transmission? I have a 544g that will go in reverse but does not engage in forward. Im going to trace all wiring this afternoon with wiring detail you provided in this thread but wasn't sure of all solenoid locations and thinking some solenoid plugs have been moved, just want to make sure all wiring plugs on solenoids are in the correct location and rule that out first. I verified 3 of the solenoids on manifold yesterday were good and not shorted. Thanks, Aubrey
Welcome to HE Aubrey ! Sorry, no can do.