Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 544G Turbo Question

groundsmechanic · 2009-07-30 16:10

Our 544 has been getting weaker and weaker over the last year. It only has less than 5000 hours but it sometimes idles for a couple hours without anybody in it. Plus they sometimes shut it off without letting it idle after they stop which I know isn't good on the turbo. Well today I put a pressure guage on the intake and at full throttle with the bucket being held against the relief, I got 7 psi of boost. Is that enough? The people that normally work on our big equipment said I should have 15 psi. The vanes don't have any play and it spins easily but it stops spinning quickly instead of keeping on for a while. Also, you cannot hear the turbo spooling up even with your head in the engine bay. What are your thoughts?

Replies14
  1. #1foley2009-08-05 13:25

    i would check the injection pump if you warm the loader up take it to full rpm and see i believe that it should be around 2200 rpm see if it smokes when you get a heavy load on it if you have low rpms or no smoke i would lean toward the injection pump they are not too bad to change on that loader i have overhauled a 544g before before you replace anything throw a fuel filter at it they are cheap and they fix alot of problems

  2. #2willie592009-08-05 22:36

    Not familiar with your engine. Does the turbo have a wastegate valve on it?

  3. #3groundsmechanic2009-08-10 06:27

    I am going to put both filters on it and test the pressure again. Thanks. I don't see a wastegate on it. At first I thought maybe it was blowing off wrong but I don't find one. Thank you.

  4. #4groundsmechanic2009-08-10 13:37

    Alright. I changed the fuel filter and water seperator. Originally, I had 7-8 psi of boost at full throttle, 1st gear with bucket held in tilt back position. Now I have 7-8 psi of boost at full throttle, 1st gear with bucket held in tilt back position. No change. I did notice that with the load on it from the bucket tilt, there was smoke coming from the exhaust. The RPMs drop to 1550 from 2250 and boost goes to only 5 psi. Ideas?

  5. #5foley2009-08-10 17:25

    i think that mabey you might have an injection pump problem i dont know i have done quite a bit of work on 544 series deere loaders does the smoke turn black with the bucket back try pushing and see where your rpms stay also take the intake hose off of the turbo and see if there are visible scratches where the impeller has rubbed on the case if there is turbo is junk if not probably ok if the turbo spins freely i have a hard time condemming it might make sure air filter isnt plugged

  6. #6willie592009-08-10 22:02

    A visual inspection of your turbo should give you sufficient information. Take the intake off the turbo, as foley said, and take the exhaust off, now you can view the exhaust impeller and the intake turbine. If the fins of the two have not been rubbing the housing (and this is pretty obvious if they have), if there's no visible damage to the fins of the two, and if it's spins relatively freely, then you don't have a turbo problem, time to move to something else. Does your injection pump have an aneroid valve on it? That's a pressure diaphram valve that turns up the fuel during turbo boost pressure. You would see a small line connected to the intake manifold, and the other end of the line connects to the aneroid valve on the injection pump.

  7. #7mrmattville2009-08-11 16:32

    I would remove the muffler and test again. Machines that idle alot tend to get build up in the muffler, causing flow problems that could effect turbo performance. I've seen it happen on machines that don't work too hard.

  8. #8BIG D2009-08-11 21:22

    1 think that it comes to my mind is simply loading the hyd to relief doesnt put enough load on the engine to achieve max boost. try stalling the torgue converter against the brakes and see how much boost u get. then add the added load of the hyd relief valve and see what u get in a loader u need both to fully load the engine in a loader they save power for each function to make the machine the most usefull . I would pull the fuel injection nozzles and have them tested at this point if the boost is low then the injection pump THE BIG D

  9. #9groundsmechanic2009-08-13 07:46

    I would but technically this machine isn't ours. It is a leased vehicle but I have been trying the easy stuff so it wouldn't have to go in to the shop. I have been putting it in 1st gear and flooring it while testing. That is when it drops to 5 psi boost. In neutral it goes to 7-8 psi but with the trans. load and the hydraulic load, 5 is the highest it will go. I am going to call the leasing company and see if they will pay to have it looked at as well as get some new tires. We are probably going to get new CAT 930H and 906H loaders but we want to keep this JD to use the pusher we have and to load salt in the big trucks.

  10. #10June2009-08-19 04:58

    now,is it ok?

  11. #11groundsmechanic2009-09-09 12:08

    Come to find out, the brakes were stuck. Nobody ever uses the left foot pedal so it was not noticed since that was the pedal that was out of whack. The right foot pedal was working fine so who woulda thought? AIS didn't address the turbo question but it seems to get up and go better. We had new tires put on it on the way back from the shop and now it rides like crap. I drove it back with no attachment and I couldn't go over 15 or it would start bucking like crazy. I put the forks on and drove it and there was no problem. Then somebody else put the bucket on and took a load of topsoil across the complex and said they couldn't go over 3 or it would start bucking. ***? I called the tire place and they said they put the new tires on, loaded them (the old front tires were not loaded but now are) and sent it on its way. They are bias ply tires and they said they might need to be broken in. I am going to give that a try and see, otherwise I am going to have them try to put radials on which is what I wanted in the first place. I also noticed when driving on the road, you can see the tires "high spot" during the rotation. I thought that maybe they were out of round but I will give them time to seat before I go further.

  12. #12bill onthehill2009-09-09 17:03

    Block it up and make up a wooden T on a base that you can measure from. Rotate the tires and see if they are molded bad. I would do it promptly before you get a lot of hours on the tires. I had a bad one back in the 70's and that is what I ended up doing to make them take the tire back and mount a good one.

  13. #13chipareu2009-09-10 12:02

    test post just ignore this

  14. #14foley2009-09-28 13:12

    what are the other tires have heard people having trouble when mixing bias and radial tires