Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 550C Help

tanktwo ยท 2010-09-11 18:49

My neighbor is attempting to repair his JD 550C but can't get the torq converter off. The motor and radiator have been removed to get to the converter. There doesn't appear to be any way to remove it from the front side and there's no way to get at it from the rear. Anyone have any experience in this area or any ideas???:beatsme

Replies7
  1. #1PD Mech Steve2010-09-13 18:02

    I am not real familiar with the 550, but I believe you have to disassemble the converter to remove it. Steve. www.pdmechanical.com

  2. #2bobin352010-09-13 19:07

    Well if im not mistaken ya have to take off the converter housing of of the transmission no east task in frame i know from exp. also big $$$ last time i had one apart the deeper i got into it the more i found wrong.Shafts slip-ring grooves etc be prepared.

  3. #3tanktwo2010-09-13 21:30

    Thanks PD Mech Steve and bobin35. I'll get with my neighbor and pass the info on. I know they're working on this out on the mountain where they were clearing and building a pond. Even tho I have no experience on Heavy Equip repair, it sounded expensive. But these guys are all the time tearing things down and fixin them. Guess it comes with experience. Thanks agn... Tanktwo

  4. #4willie592010-09-13 21:55

    Hmm, Deere website doesn't show a 550C, don't mean they didn't make one though. If it's like the 550B, the convertor mates with the flywheel with a spider gear. I've seen these type of connections get wear from turning horsepower and causes burrs and snags on the gear coupling, have had to pry them pretty good to get them to come apart. I suggest you get the correct parts page for the machine so you can tell what your working with or against.

  5. #5tanktwo2010-09-14 08:01

    Thanks ATCOEQUIP. The Deere website was the first place I looked to try to get some help. Even the local Deere rep says they didnt make a 550C but they did. I couldnt find a manual on one either. I'm still looking. If anyone can direct me to a parts page that I can download - give me a shout.. TankTwo

  6. #6willie592010-09-14 19:23

    If you have a good Deere dealer, you should be able to give them the complete model number and serial number (or PIN if it has that) and they can submit a detec case with corporate Deere and they will give your dealer all the build codes on the machine so they can look at correct parts pages. If it's a Deere machine, and you have the numbers, they should be able to help you out.

  7. #7tanktwo2010-09-14 22:09

    ATCOEQUIP - Hey Thanks for that. I know for a fact that they have the Model number and full serial number. I'll pass this along and I'm sure that will get things off dead center. Thanks a bunch.