Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 555 loader starting problems

loose screw ยท 2015-06-10 13:49

Ran out of fuel and after putting more fuel in tried to start. Starter has always gotten hot if ran over a few seconds. This time my son may have ran starter to long and we seemed to have something burning somewhere on the started side. used a water extinguisher and no more smoke. Smoke seemed to be coming around exhaust flange but nothing smelled of wiring, really couldn't smell anything in the excitement. In the middle of know where with nothing to reach it we used jacks to get bucket up and after searching everywhere we could see couldn't find anything that looked like it had been hot, all wires looked fine. I can hear a clicking sound that seems to be coming from a relay. Battery is showing 13 volts with 11 and a half under load. I wish it wasn't the starter but suspect it. Pecked on starter and solenoid but still just get that same click, nothing turning. I'm sort of at a loss as what to do next. I don't know the year but serial no. is 555-A-370_29T. Engine Type is 4276 TTO1, Ser. No. 56943 9T. I will look for whatever else might help you. The smoke wasn't great and we never saw flames but of course the side covers were on. Their could have been a little oil or fluid in the under side but no idea what might have ignited that.

Replies14
  1. #1loose screw2015-06-10 22:01

    Im no electrician but have to do most things on my own because of a fixed income I cant brag about. This old loader means we get a house site for my son and his family or we don't.. Encouragement might help me decide if I'm thinking in the right direction. The problem started with more cranking than normal because we ran out of fuel, something got hot and caused a short, causing the smoke, then I have an open because starter won't try to turn and dosent get hot. Horn blows, hour gauge is working. This thing on what I will call the fire wall is clicking. Shouldn't I try and see if fire is moving through this switch and if so my problem would probably be an open in starter. If that makes sense to you folks that are in the know nthen I might be on the right track. One problem is I see three bolts holding the started and believe there must be that fourth that is going to give me a fit and if I get it will probably never get it back. Am I making any sense?

  2. #2Delmer2015-06-10 22:18

    Yes, that all makes sense to me. I don't know fords, so take it for what it's worth... I'd start with a test lead from a multimeter on the cable from the solenoid into the starter body. If there's power there when you try to start it then you have an internal starter problem. The smoke could have come from inside the starter and happened so fast that it didn't even warm up much. Or, is it possible the exhaust was just leaking? Everything does sound like a weak starter that finally let out the magic smoke, though.

  3. #3Blueboy2015-06-10 22:20

    If it was my machine I would try to bypass the solenoid to see if the starter will turn. Use a pair of jumper cables and watch out for the sparks! Is yours a diesel? I'm not big on diesels but, when cranking, if you loosen the lines at the injectors it will help get air out of the fuel line.

  4. #4Welder Dave2015-06-10 22:44

    Sounds like a starter issue. Might only be 3 bolts holding it on but can't be worse than a Cat 931B starter to remove which is a big PIA. Did you bleed the air out of the fuel system after adding more diesel? If you didn't, it's not going to start with a brand new starter.

  5. #5lantraxco2015-06-11 01:01

    Deere 555 loader with a 4 cylinder diesel, the older Deeres were tough on starters. Don't need jumper cables, just use a short heavy screwdriver with a plastic handle, cross the big fat terminal with the battery cable on it directly to the other big fat terminal without shorting to ground anywhere. If the starter spins without engaging, then at least the motor is trying. If you ran it out of fuel you will need to bleed the pump and also the injector lines before it will run again, If you haven't bled it, get the starter issue sorted and then somebody will walk you through the bleeding procedure, it's not dificult.

  6. #6lantraxco2015-06-11 01:03

    Welder Dave beat me to it... but yeah, I think it is worse than a 931! LOL

  7. #7loose screw2015-06-11 06:51

    Thanks for that "Worse than a 931" Dave but I appreciate the honesty. I can't get back to the Loader until after noon some time but will let you guys know what I find when I find it.

  8. #8loose screw2015-06-11 20:34

    little inspiration goes a long way Good evening friends, I got back to the loader later than I had planned but feel pretty good at the moment. I had 12 volts to the solenoid but nothing from solenoid to starter. I used that screwdriver test and crossed the terminals , the starter motor was spinning like a new one. If all stays that way I should just need a solenoid and not the starter. At least some of the smoke had came from the rubber type shield over the hot wire on solenoid. If you have a suggestion on where I might get the better deal on that solenoid I would appreciate that. I found a number on the starter but nothing on solenoid. It seems I can see some light at the end of the tunnel now thanks to you.

  9. #9Blueboy2015-06-11 22:32

    Take the solenoid to a starter shop. They should be able to match it.

  10. #10lantraxco2015-06-11 23:41

    Do you have 12V at the small terminal on the solenoid, and it's just not pulling in? If you don't get 12V there when the starter button is pushed, try jumpering from the big hot terminal to the small one, carefully to avoid sparks. Post the number on the starter, it's probably Delco, but there were a couple variations and I think the updates were Denso but I'm not sure on the 555. The starter number should lead to a breakdown that shows the solenoid and cross to whatever manufacturer it's from.

  11. #11oarwhat2015-06-12 07:01

    Napa will have one

  12. #12loose screw2015-06-13 01:10

    oarwhat, NAPA found the solenoid in Tenn. and expect to get it here by Tuesday. I may have been able to get one a little cheaper but have a friend who operates the NAPA store near me . If I have a problem he always treats me right. Will keep you guys informed on how it goes. One thing I can tell you is it wont run out of fuel again unless a tank ruptures of line breaks. You can tell someone to always check the fuel and they may forget but when they have to jack and crib that heavy bucket up to get to the starter on a very hot and humid day their memory will be very sharp next time they decide to crank it up.

  13. #13Blueboy2015-06-13 08:00

    Is it to soon for this? I'm waiting to see how it's done.

  14. #14loose screw2015-06-20 15:47

    Solenoid came in yesterday, it took a while. That was the problem and it started with the first squirt of starting fluid after we primed it real good. I know that's rare but this machine has done that a few times. I know what you mean about the bleeding of injectors because I had an old 430 CK case hoe that didn't have a primer so you cranked while someone bled each injector one at a time until it started. Fuel is something I don't believe we will run out of again. My son checked it three times today, lol.. Thanks for your help everyone.