I have an early (1989) JD 555G with warning lights on the dash. I believe that the same light is used for the transmission temp and for the trans low pressure. Can someone tell me if the pressure sender will set the light if the parking brake handle is in the down position? I have a high pressure light that is on for the filter and I am going to replace that. The low pressure light for trans only comes on when I lift the parking brake handle. Is this the correct operation?
I've got the 455G which I believe is nearly the same. I may not have the answer but my transmission filter light and hydraulic filter light stay on for quite a while when I crank it up in cold weather. I had done a full fluid and filter change when I bought it and when I don't run for awhile the transmission light stays on until I work it for awhile and the fluid heats up. I ran it a few weeks ago and the transmission filter light stayed on until I idled back and put on the parking brake level...then it never came back on when I resumed working with it.
Mine was doing the exact same thing and I was told by the dealer it was ok. My problem is that now as soon as I lift the parking brake handle I get an audible warning and the "Stop" light comes on with the Trans low pressure light on also. The machine won't move. I cleaned the sump screen and could get a little movement forward. I am going to change the filter and fluid tomorrow and hope it corrects the problem. I wonder if that filter being restricted has opened the filter bypass valve and that is why I have a sudden loss of pressure. I have my fingers crossed.
The filter light coming on when it is cold is normal. The trans psi light coming on w/ the park brake lever is lifted is not normal and is indicating the charge pressure is low in the transmission. Oil and filter change might fix it but most likely there is internal leakage that is causing the problem, maybe a relief valve, park brake solenoid or maybe one of the charge pumps has failed.
I changed the fluid and the filter yesterday. I also checked the bypass valve in the filter housing and it was ok. After all that was completed the loader ran fine. All lights went out and transmission seemed to operate and shift great. Thank God it was the easy fix. Thanks....
Thats good news! Glad to hear it!