This 1972 JD Payloader will start and run for a short time then shut down like it ran out of fuel. Other times it will start up and run fine. But having more trouble with the start and shut down than I have in the past. Reading some forums it sounds like it may be the--MOUSE TERD Problem--where the PELLATHANE RING fails and plugs the return fuel line. Where do I look to see if the MTERDS are present. No window to look thru on this Stanadyne pump. Or could it be an other problem. When it starts and runs it has a lot of power. len michigan
The side cover is held on by 2 flat head screws by the name plate.. You can remove the fitting on the top cover.. THE ENTIRE FITTING down to the aluminum cover.. and see if it continues to run..
If you don't find the coffee ground rubber chunks, then put tee into the supply line to the injection pump, run a line to the cab and see if it's maintaining fuel pressure, or pulling a vacuum when it dies.
That fitting you mention is about 3 inches long and there is a metal filter screen on it--is that correct??? My pump is a JD8635JT2488 and the model is 102908BRST.
Thanks Delmer---what kind of pressure should I be looking for????
THATS the pump inlet.. I said, THE TOP COVER.. return fuel.. Lately I've been running into, NO COFFEE GROUNDS/TURDS.. at all.. even after removing the top cover.. But after tearing the pump down.. theres NO FLEX RING left AT ALL.. Running pressure at full load only requires 1-3psi
Use a combination vacuum fuel pressure gauge like you'd use to tuneup a car back in the day. If the injection pump pulls a vacuum, bad, something's plugged up upstream.
My mistake---I removed the line for the return and then removed the fitting with the small glass ball---NO coffee grounds in there--very clean. The loader will start and run with full power to load a 10 yard truck. When I return--about a half hour later from unloading---the loader will start right up, BUT it will run AT a low RPM and then die like it has run out of fuel. Now it takes a lot of cranking to get smoke out of the exhaust before it will fire up again. Once started it will run for hours at a good full power and then after I shut it down and come back--it may start and run perfect or it will start and be at the low RMP again.
fuel is bleeding back..air in the lines or low fuel pressure.. faulty lift pump.. dirty filters. clogged tank screen..
Thanks pumpguy---NEW INFO. From what you wrote about dirty filters. I just bought this loader last spring so my info. on its previous care is slim. I drained the fuel tank and out came a bunch of round balls that are light brown in color and very soft--feels like grease that comes out of my grease gun. They will dissolve in gas--takes a few minutes. I removed the big square JD plastic filter and the fuel that came out of that was very knarly dirty. My filter going into the IP is perfectly clean., I do not know how to get pics small enough to go on this forum. What are and what causes these grease balls. Probably going to have to drop the tank. Appreciate your thoughts. len
Thanks pumpguy---NEW INFO. From what you wrote about dirty filters. I just bought this loader last spring so my info. on its previous care is slim. I drained the fuel tank and out came a bunch of round balls that are light brown in color and very soft--feels like grease that comes out of my grease gun. They will dissolve in gas--takes a few minutes. I removed the big square JD plastic filter and the fuel that came out of that was very knarly dirty. My filter going into the IP is perfectly clean., I do not know how to get pics small enough to go on this forum. What are and what causes these grease balls. Probably going to have to drop the tank. Appreciate your thoughts. len
How much have you used the machine since you've owned it? how many tanks of fuel? If you can drop the tank and clean it, that will work. You might be able to deal with it in place if that's easier too. I've never seen grease balls, but I'd guess old fuel breakdown products of some kind is a pretty safe guess. Which is why I asked how much fuel you've run through it already. If it's had a dozen tanks run through, then change the filter, siphon the clear fuel back into the tank and keep going. If this fuel came in the tank and it's only run a few hours, then you probably want to remove the tank to scrub, and use the fuel on a bonfire.
Sounds Like dieselbacteria, Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
You probably Will need to clean all fuellines and filterhousings, and add biocide bacteria killer the first couple of times you refill Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Siphon the top clear stuff off of that old fuel, leaving the bottom few inches of crud, and use that to flush the tank with the drain open into a clean bucket. Put your fuel supply on top of the cab to get a little pressure when siphoning it into the tank to rinse what you can. Pour the drained fuel back into the original, check the bottom of the bucket to see what came out, and repeat an hour later after it's settled out again. You could do that with gas also if you feel like it. Or pressure wash it first and then do the diesel or gas flush. The glass rectangular filter can be shaken out and let the crud drain out of the inlet, as long as you have another filter between it and the injection pump you should be fine. What kind of screen is on the pickup in the tank? You might improve that so it runs longer between plugging up. You do have a petcock drain on the bottom of the fuel tank, right?
Thanks Delmer----I have drained the tank. Put my little finger up in the tank and could feel soft slime. The balls that came out were near marble size and VERY soft and a light brown color. I put some of those balls in a container of gas and in a few minutes they dissolved away. I have a large opening in the bottom of the tank 1 1/2 dia. I put 5 gal. of gas in the tank and let it set overnight. Drained that out today. Gave it the old finger test again and it felt clean. I have put another 10 gallon of gas in the tank. 50 gallon tank. 10 gallon should give a good cover for the bottom. I can run my hand -arm down into the tank from the top and the wall feels very clean. Going to let the 10 gallon of gas sit for a couple days and then drain it out. Any more thoughts of what these round soft grease feeling balls are???? It looks and feels just like grease from my old grease gun.
No idea what they are besides the guess that they're broken down fuel. Biodiesel makes a skin that looks and kinda acts like rust coating the tank, slime is part water and doesn't dissolve, that's what I'm familiar with in old diesel. I've never seen grease balls. It doesn't matter too much what they are or where they came from as long as you can get rid of them.
Still sounds like diesel bacteria growth Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Delmer and Dutchcat-----Thanks for taking an interest in my problem. Gas dissolves them so thinking I will be good to go once cleaned. Two fellas who have seen this many times tell me that it is WAX--PARAFFIN. It comes from burning heavy fuel---number 2 and maybe furnace oil etc. As I just bought this loader this early spring late winter; I don't know what was used for fuel. They said good filters will filter it out. Found it in the bottom of my JD GLASS-PLASTIC see thru filter--hoping it didn't make its way into the IP.........DELMER you were correct broken down fuel etc.......
Thought that only occured with low ambient temperatures, Hope your problem is solved now Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk