Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 650 J timing issue

JLsanzaro ยท 2014-04-28 08:54

i bought a 650 j a couple months back and it never really seemed to be running right. had it in the shop last month and did injectors and still runs rough. just wondering if anyone knows about the timing of the injection pump. its got a 4045 ht engine in it. any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Replies10
  1. #1JLsanzaro2014-04-29 09:59

    anyone ever rebuild one?

  2. #2overworked2014-04-29 10:59

    Yes I have rebuilt several, you pin the flywheel and the injection pump.

  3. #3JLsanzaro2014-04-29 12:24

    So just like a cat Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4Deeretracks2014-04-29 13:21

    http://oregonfuelinjection.com/pdf/stanadyne-de-pump-timing-instructions.pdf

  5. #5Delmer2014-04-29 16:24

    What does it do when it's running rough? If you suspect the timing, just scratch a line across the pump and engine mating surface, loosen the back nut and leave the one in front tight enough, then start it back up (I'd do it warm, but that's me?), loosen the remaining nut and turn the pump forward and backward to see if it improves. Have you checked the valve clearance? disconnected the injectors one at a time?

  6. #6eric122014-04-29 16:42

    Have you changed all the fuel and air filters and looked for more obvious things? Also when is it running rough, at idle or when its pushing or always? It might just need the throttle control adjusted. I'd hate to see you get even further into it and find out its something simple you over looked.

  7. #7JLsanzaro2014-04-29 17:51

    yea we've done all the simple obvious things. after looking at the link that deeretracks sent I'm gonna check the backlash on the drive gear tomorrow

  8. #8eric122014-04-29 17:54

    If you need the service manual for it, I have a PDF I could send you.

  9. #9JLsanzaro2014-04-29 18:10

    ya that would be great, thank you. i have 52 pieces of cat equip and 4 JD. with cat SIS i kinda feel spoiled with all the info lol, my other equipment always makes me think a little harder

  10. #10Deeretracks2014-04-29 19:26

    I know what you mean. I love the Deere manuals compared to Cat but I hate that Deere won't let me have Service Advisor with a full set of disks. My Cat dealer gave me unlimited SIS for free.