Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 690D LC

kennye · 2025-05-15 21:04

I have hydraulic fluid pouring from under my swing gear area under my frame. My excavator is in the field and I cant move it all the fluid poured out. I checked all the hoses but it is pouring from underneath. Any suggestions how to fix this?

Replies6
  1. #1Diesel Dave2025-05-16 00:39

    Welcome to HEF kennye . It could be the propel rotary manifold leaking ,but if the hydraulic oil is “pouring out“ from the swing gear area I doubt it. More likely I think the bolts #27 (see screenshot below) that hold the lower pinion housing to the upper swing gear box have failed. Originally there was 6 bolts then upgraded to a quantity of 12. The lower pinion housing will drop down about an inch allowing the lubricating hydraulic oil to pour out of the upper swing gear box. The upper swing gear box lubricating hoses can be removed and plugged if the machine needs to be moved. Report back what you find.

  2. #2kennye2025-05-17 17:36

    Diesel Dave. I think you are right about the manifold bolts on my 690D LC. So, does someone sell a replacement manifold or do I have to rebuild it. I don't want to go through this headache again. I looked on line and can't find a replacement. I have never rebuilt one these but If I have no other option I will try to I suppose

  3. #3Diesel Dave2025-05-18 10:39

    Are you apart yet ? How many holes in the lower pinion housing for bolts (key #27) ? The bolts (key #27) generally shear due to a worn bore in the main frame and or a worn outer diameter of the lower pinion housing (area highlighted in screenshot below). When new it was a “slip fit” between the pinion housing and the main frame I’m guessing approx .005“ - .010” clearance. If not physically broken the lower pinion housing outer diameter can be built up and machined and also the main frame bore can be built up in place and re-bored as necessary.

  4. #4kennye2025-05-18 21:47

    My drive motor has a lot of bolts, but the rotary manifold has 4 bolts on top and four on bottom I'm thinking the rotary manifold is pouring out the fluid because it started out losing power on one of my tracks and when it decided to let go it was all of a sudden. instantly. . Actually, I am not positive its the swing motor. I cant seem to find a replacement rotary manifold either, are these available or do I need to pull it and rebuild it myself

  5. #5Diesel Dave2025-05-19 13:17

    Suggest to drain the swing gear cavity , lift the rubber boot surrounding the top of the rotary manifold as high as you can ,run the machine and try to visually confirm the rotary manifold leak. Rotary manifold , Deere / Hitachi reman part # 9097161EX . Looks like most internal parts are available .Depending on your abilities the rotary is rebuildable, has a bunch of ball bearings to deal with. A good hydraulic shop could rebuild it.

  6. #6kennye2025-05-19 16:16

    Thank you for all your help Dave. I took the chance and ordered a rebuilt manifold because it looks like where its pouring out. It started off a week ago losing some power to one track turning was most noticeable. This guy was interested in it and came over to look at it. I was not leaking noticeable, but he swung the boom to each side lifting up the unit to watch the tracks move. After he left, I tracked it to the back and that's when all H broke out. Fluid pouring out the above and below the torrent. We could see it pouring from the underside, but it wasn't the hoses.