Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 772, directing heat

EZ TRBO ยท 2011-11-13 21:44

Run a JD 772 in the winter months for plowing snow for the township. I understand the concept of running a "cool cab" which is easy to do on a nice sunny day, even when the temp is below zero. But on them cloudy days we can't seem to do anything to keep the fog and frost off the widows. Machine has a heater unit located right below the seat, but no vents or anything to "pipe" the hot air to the windows. I don't mind keeping things cool, but would be nice to get the frost off the windows. Just curious as to if any of you northern guys have made anything to help with that or just fight it? Thanks Trbo

Replies11
  1. #1willie592011-11-13 21:52

    Never had to deal with that before, maybe a little PVC pipe project inside cab to make an air duct to direct air to windshield?

  2. #2EZ TRBO2011-11-13 23:39

    Was thinking somthing along them lines willie, make a box from sheet metal and even some smooth hose.

  3. #3willie592011-11-13 23:42

    That's what I was thinking EZ. My thoughts with PVC is it would have to follow floor since that's where heater outlet is and PVC pipe wouldn't get crushed by feet. Rig up something cool, er, warm, lol, and post some pics.

  4. #4cutting edge2011-11-14 00:58

    Does the AC work? Thats important for defrosting

  5. #5grandpa2011-11-14 04:59

    Cant imagine a grader without defrosters,,, none the less, a directional fan mounted anywhere that you can point towards the problem area will take care of it. Also you can temporarily attach some plastic to the inside of the problem window. This acts like a dual pane window and will eliminate the problem. You used to be able to buy these plastic liners, but I haven't needed them for years so don't know it they are even still offered...... Gramps.

  6. #6EZ TRBO2011-11-14 23:19

    cutting edge...whats AC???? lol Grandpa.. We have two "truck" fans mounted up and behind us to blow the air towards the windows. It doesn't do TOO bad...somtimes. But i've spent many early mornings and cloudy days scraping the frost off the INSDIE of the window. Going to try to get up and have a look at it, if i can have the right and front window clear i'll be happy. Trbo

  7. #7ovrszd2011-11-16 10:03

    You didn't mention what model 772 you are running. But from your description of the heater location I'm guessing a "B" model. Those models were built with two different heaters. I'm again guessing that yours has the smaller model if it struggles to get warm in the cab. I've spent many hours with only small areas open for visibility. I always added a second circulatory fan. Ran both on high. Both set so they work together to rotate the air around the cab in the same direction. I also learned early on to not track a lot of moisture inside the cab. Kick all the snow and slush off your boots when entering. Undress so you don't sweat. I often see drivers all bundled up like they are outside, sweating in their clothing and releasing all that moist air into the cab environment. Otherwise, not much you can do. I ran a "B" model without AC for seven years. Struggled with iced up windows every winter. Then struggled in the Summer grading dusty roads with the doors open. Would come home at night and couldn't tell what color my clothing was for all the limestone dust on me. Sure don't miss those days. Sorry I couldn't offer you a miracle cure.

  8. #8562C2011-11-16 18:17

    Don't know about the Deere, but farourite trick on a champion is to run the heat AND leave the air conditioning. Air conditioning takes the moisture out of the air, solves the problem. Only works when they are two completely separate systems.....

  9. #9ovrszd2011-11-17 10:45

    Based on the OP's comment about it,,, I don't think he has AC. But yeah, if you do have AC, always have it on.

  10. #10biggrader2011-11-18 20:37

    I'm with Overszd here, turn the fans so it circulates the air in a circle. I think that would be my first attempt at solving the problem. Let us know if it works. My 'B' has the top heater/AC unit so I can run just about naked in the cab at 0 degrees.

  11. #1151kw2011-11-18 20:43

    If you can open a window or something slightly also helps by getting rid of the humidity from your breath.