Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jd 772a ??

Cat 236 ยท 2007-11-10 11:09

I recently purchased a 1982 JD 772A Grader with Snow Wing it appears and checks out to be in very good condition. What can I expect to have come up for problems with it. It has the 14:00x24 bias tires ,what should I try for air pressure in them to alleviate the bounce thump thump when I am roading it in the higher speeds? Thanks for any ideas on this. Cat 236 Alaska

Replies10
  1. #1Turbo218352007-11-10 11:34

    Im not sure on problems coming up as I have never been around a Deere grader. I still see a few around here in full time use. Their mostly used by the paving contractors. They run the Deeres spreading and fine grading stone in parking lots and roads. The bounce and thump may be from the tires sitting in one place so long. They tend to "flatten" on the side their sitting on. If I remember correctly ive seen pictures from Randy Krieg where he parks his machine with none of the tires on the ground. This helps with the flat spots. Josh

  2. #272V2007-11-10 17:50

    Does the grader have electric over hydraulic controls? I've heard they can be a real pain.... don't have any personal experience with them though, fortunately.

  3. #3Grader4me2007-11-10 19:09

    Okay...I've seen the light.. Do you have any pictures of your grader? I operated a deere many years ago that had the electric over hydraulic controls. I believe the switches were for the blade slide, circle turn and side shift, and the rest of the controls were the levers. I really didn't like the switches. What kind of shape are the tires and what are you running for air pressure?

  4. #4Cat 2362007-11-11 11:00

    Jd 772a I do have pictures but have not learned how to post them to this site. I will work on this. Yes it does have electric switches over hydraulic and they all work fine. It is interesting that all these years later CAT with the new M Series Graders has gone to complete electric over hydraulic. I wonder how they will function 25 or so years down the road or sooner. Right now I am running 35 lbs. of air in the tires and it has helped quite a bit. I seem to remember that years agp when I ran blade for the Alaska DOT that we went all the way down to about 26 lbs. However when it set for a while it would really get flat spots. I would like to know how Randy parks his blade with ALL of the tires off of the ground? Thanks for the replys, Cat 236

  5. #5CAT140H2007-11-11 11:15

    We didn't run bias tires but on radials we found what worked for us was during winter with the wing we had 42 lbs in the rear tires and 35 up front. Bias may be different. Thanks

  6. #672V2007-11-11 11:20

    Parking with all the tires off the ground is easy if you have a ripper.

  7. #7telescooper2007-11-11 11:29

    We used to have a grader like that. The machine held up well. The controls got to be sticky, but what do you expect on a 20 yr old machine high hr machine. The machine did not have any electric controls for the blade. Well maybe it did if they were in the T handle for blade shift and circle turn. When the all wheel drive was engaged it lost alot of power. I was impressed with the amount of snow it would push with wing and V.

  8. #8Grader4me2007-11-11 11:51

    I've actually rolled a tire off the rim running 35 lbs. This was due to cutting ice out of a ditch though. We have good luck running around 45 lbs, slightly more on the wing side. If you are running a front plow then probably around 45 in the front as well. You will just have to experiment with the air pressure until you get it to where you want. Some say the x pattern works good to take out the bounce. Meaning the same amount of air in your left front tire on the tandem as the right back tire on the tandem. Right front to left rear etc. Do this by trying different air pressures within 5 lbs of each other. The switches on the Deere that I run worked good but it's hard to get the "feel" of them compared to the levers.

  9. #9Countryboy2007-11-12 19:17

    Check out the second red link in my signature for help with posting pictures.

  10. #10Cat 2362007-11-12 23:00

    Jd 772a Hey 72V why didn,t I think of the ripper trick. Because I do not have a ripper I guess. Thanks. Grader 4me I will try the x pattern idea. Thanks, Cat 236