Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 792 controls

osufan ยท 2011-08-21 08:31

Hi fellas, My family has a farm. Several years ago, Grandpa bought an excavator to remove fencelines and bottom dip a ditch or two that cut through the farm. It was an early 690B. It had seen better days when we got it, and it is pretty well ragged out now. This past week we updated into the '80s vintage, lol. What we have now is a Deere 792. I am an operator for the local county engineer, and I am proficient in Cat controls. This unit has Deere controls. My question to the experts is can our unit be switched over to run Cat controls? Thanks guys!

Replies5
  1. #1CM19952011-08-21 09:50

    Yep, just swap the lines around. There are a few threads on this topic in the excavator section.

  2. #2Deereman2011-08-25 11:43

    Like CM said. It can be done. Ill try to find the paper on it.

  3. #3osufan2011-08-28 18:58

    Just to let you guys know, I couldn't figure anything out on it. I called my local Deere heavy equipment dealer, the service manager was out of the shop, but the other techs didn't think it was possible. To make a long story short, I rigged some linkage in there to switch the pattern. I know it is not "legal", but it works for me and since it isn't a contractor/business situation, I figure it really doesn't matter. Thanks for the help.

  4. #4willie592011-08-28 21:59

    The Deere parts catalog shows optional linkage to switch controls. But if you got it rigged up and working proper, I'd wager you got it changed for way cheaper than those Deere conversion components.

  5. #5osufan2011-09-03 14:48

    Yep. We got a parts manual as well as a tech manual with it. I didn't even call to check price and availability because I wanted to start using it. I would imagine if the parts are even still available, they would cost a lot more than the 2 hours, scrap iron and bolts that it took to rig it. It took a little bit of adjusting to make certain the travel was still the same, but it works great. Thanks!