Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 8430 Quadrange clutch apply pressure

wrwtexan ยท 2014-06-18 09:22

A friend has a JD 8430 he uses for scraper and plow work which has a slipping clutch. He got the old manuals our Ag Power dealer threw out which cover an 8440 and now they can't pull up specs for them on their system. 8440 calls for 180 psi on clutch apply pressure. As they are about the same HP, I would assume it would be the same. I shimmed the pressure valve and couldn't get it above 150. I don't want to start pulling pump or engine without knowing correct pressure. Anyone have an 8430 manual or know what psi should be?

Replies2
  1. #1wrangler2014-06-19 01:58

    My manual says 175 psi.At 2000 rpm.Low pressure caused by restricted oil filter,low oil,low trans pump output,weak or broke pressure regulating spring,stuck oil filter relief valve,torn gaskets behind clutch valve housing,o-rings on adapters behind clutch valve housing leaking,excessive leakage in operating piston or stuck pressure regulating valve.

  2. #2wrwtexan2014-06-19 13:34

    Many Thanks! We will look at those before we go and pull the engine for the operating piston seals.